Repacking the stock muffler

12 replies to this topic
  • Ontario_Rider

Posted April 08, 2001 - 06:33 PM

I've tried using 2 stroke repacking and that burns out very quickly.. knowing now that that doesn't work... What does. The 01 426 comes with a repack in the spares kit. But in Canada the price is $210 just for the repack :)
Does anyone know of any alternatives to using the Yamaha stuff? Big Gun repack is $40 bucks.. which is ok.. but long time for me to order. Anything at the hardware store work..etc.. ??? What kind of rivits are we using.. Stainless don't seem to pinch enough and vibrate loose and out.. Or is it just because I used the little hand held rivit gun.. and I need to use the bigger one squeeze deals..

Looking for some advice please ..

Oh.. one more thing.. do you just pull the end out and pack the stuffing in that way.. or do u wrap it around the core.. Tighter the better?

Thank you .. Jody
Ontario.. Canada
00' 426

• yzernie

Posted April 08, 2001 - 07:14 PM

I use stainless steel wool. I wrap it around the baffle and pack it as tightly as possible. I use 3/16th stainless steel rivets and use the biggest rivet gun you can find!!!

The stainless steel wool will longer than any other muffler packing. I last repacked mine four months ago and it is just now due.

This is a trick I learned from the off road king, Larry Roeseler. It works!!

yzernie

• Ontario_Rider

Posted April 09, 2001 - 02:12 AM

Thanks for the pointer.. i'll check to see if the stainless steel wool is available at the hardware store.. Yah never know.. :)

Jody

• Mxer303

Posted April 09, 2001 - 05:49 AM

I found some stainless steel wool in the McMaster Carr catalog for $16.85 a roll. Their site is www.mcmaster.com.

------------------

• teamtoxic

Posted April 10, 2001 - 06:00 AM

<font color="navy">I've always heard that steel wool doesn't last anywhere near as long as the fiberglass packing. Maybe its different for the 4 strokers?

Just my 2cents

------------------
~~~~~YaMaHaFoUrTwOsIx~~~~~

[This message has been edited by teamtoxic (edited 04-10-2001).]

• Ontario_Rider

Posted April 10, 2001 - 12:53 PM

I tried the regular steel wool.. and that got spit out in a hurry.. like 2 days.. burned it right up. So I have ordered 2 pounds of Stainless, for 26 bucks canadian.. and I'll let u know how it works for me.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yzernie

Posted April 12, 2001 - 04:24 AM

Ontario Rider,

If you can't find it call Stroker at 760 948-2871. That is where I get mine. It is the heavier guage stainless steel wool.

yzernie

• Le_Racer

Posted April 13, 2001 - 09:14 PM

Salut!
Try LCR Competition in Ormstown QC. at 1-877-631-9797.
They have repack kit from CRD, some kind of ceramic based wool, with some stainless in the core is what will work the best.

• YZ400Court

Posted April 13, 2001 - 09:48 PM

Stroker
http://www.strokerspeed.com/index.cfm

------------------
Pretend it's flat and give it the gas.

• Ontario_Rider

Posted April 14, 2001 - 08:07 AM

Repaced the exhaust.. Stainless wool is holding up good after about 5 hours riding time.. But the aluminum rivit's I used.. 3/16" 3mm grip range are rattling loose a bit. That's gonna drive me nuts. Do stainless rivits squeeze better.. whats everyone else running into?

• yzernie

Posted April 14, 2001 - 08:32 AM

O.R.,

I use stainless rivets. They seem to hold tighter than aluminum. You'll need one of the BIG rivet guns to snap them off!!!

Glad the packing is working out ok. My stainless packing lasts a long time.

yzernie

• Scott_F

Posted April 16, 2001 - 04:43 AM

I bought one of those huge rivet tools for cheap at Harbor Freight.

• yzernie

Posted April 16, 2001 - 10:27 AM

And it helps if you have the grip strenth of Godzilla :)

yzernie

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.