2009 WR450F review and experience

29 replies to this topic
  • Marc WRP

Posted March 03, 2011 - 01:52 PM

First time I heard someone say bad stuff about a wr except for having a crappy seat. Hope your letter box doesn't get bombed or worse, thanks for sharing your experience good luck dodging bullets dude

Hello

Here at WRP in Utah we are working on a Gel Top seat with the highest quality Urethane foam cushion available on the market. The WR is the first model that will be available and we will develop multiple models per month there after.

Marc WRP 801-802-0617

• BPH

Posted March 07, 2011 - 08:15 AM

I'm the new owner of a 2009 wr450 and my wife a 2009 wr250. For the regular rider, these bikes kick ass. I've owned other 450s and 250s and 2 strokes and even a DRZ. The WR is way better in my opinion. Power, light, comfortable, reliable. I love it.

• Save_A_Tree_Eat_A_Beaver

Posted March 07, 2011 - 08:25 AM

Well it's good to see Im not alone.....I guess.

Suspension has been revalved twice and will be back for a third time.......

But first I need to rebuild the engine...it just blew on me this weekend. Funny one of the main reasons I went WR was the engine was supposed to be bulletproof compared to the Honda.

$10K later Im hoping it will be close to the best bike I have ever ridden....a stock almost decade old Honda........been chasing it ever since I pulled this thing off the showroom floor.

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted March 07, 2011 - 10:02 AM

The stock suspension is great for easy trail rides. Anything fast like in the desert and you'll need it stiffened up and the damping reduced. Precision Concepts will get it dialed in for you the first time in most cases, but if not, they will redo it until you're happy with it. Adjusting the clickers is a science all it's own. It's not as easy as you would think. I found that I had a lot more success when I started with the rebound first. In the desert it's more evident, but I would first find the point where the wheels would bounce off the ground (return too quickly) and then slowly dial in more rebound only to the point where I could not feel it anymore, but not go much past that point. Then adjusting the compression to the point where I would just bottom on the hardest hits seemed to give me the overall best ride. If you have someone that can video tape you riding through a section and then view the playback in slow motion you can really see what's going on and use that as a tool, it just takes a long time.

• MANIAC998

Posted March 08, 2011 - 05:48 AM

I've grown up on Yamaha's my whole life. Sure I've tried other brands, but just can't seem to come to terms with them handling wise. One year, I bought a brand new 250F and started mod'ing it thru out the winter. I bought the latest, greatest, steeper offset tripleclamps to "help" it turn like a Honda, along with lots of other "goodies". When spring came around and I started preparing for the upcoming Hare Scrambles season, I was struggling handling wise. Race after race, I just wasn't coming to terms with it! Finally, luck prevailed, if you want to call it that, as I crashed again bending the handlebar mounting posts. I had to throw the stock tripleclamp back on until I got some new mounting posts for that RG3 clamp. And guess what! My "Yamaha" handling came back!!! I love how stable Yamaha's are! I wouldn't want my Yamaha to turn like a Honda, EVER!!! So that's why we have so many choices in bike design's. Everyone has a different idea in what they want in a bike. Thanks to the OP for posting his opinion. Feedback is what this site is all about! Maniac

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • miweber929

Posted March 08, 2011 - 12:58 PM

But first I need to rebuild the engine...it just blew on me this weekend. Funny one of the main reasons I went WR was the engine was supposed to be bulletproof compared to the Honda.

$10K later Im hoping it will be close to the best bike I have ever ridden....a stock almost decade old Honda........been chasing it ever since I pulled this thing off the showroom floor.

What happend to the motor? When was the last time you checked valves? How often do you bounce it off the rev limiter?

Everything has a breaking point.

Almost every blowup I have heard or seen has a reason: lack of maint, poor maint, owner abuse, etc. Not defending but my "rock solid" and "unbreakable" Honda XR650L siezed after I didn't properly gap the rings in my new high-comp piston. And my old XR250R had a messed up head after it had been sunk and took on water from a DSPO. And I have heard nothing but good things about Honda reliability.

Almost every "new style " four stroke issue I have heard or read about with any brand was after the owner either skipped a valve check or did it incorrectly. Honda top ends will run a long time if you follow their maint interval EXACTLY, tey they are known for "fragile" top ends.

It's all in what you do.

Mike

• dez4ever

Posted March 08, 2011 - 04:13 PM

Just curious what happened to your engine. I've raced the shit out of mine, overheated, ran without water, mud races and much more until if finally needed a rebuild after 5000+ miles of abuse...

• the_smoo

Posted March 08, 2011 - 04:47 PM

is this the one you purchased in september 2007 for 5999 OTD?... keep the maintenance up did we?

• WideRatio

Posted March 09, 2011 - 09:18 PM

Just checking....Did you mess with high and low speed compression damping? The outer adjustment?

• 1talbotj

Posted April 04, 2011 - 05:40 AM

this guy is clueless and just wants to promote KTMs...thats ok, but how about if i go on your bike and beat the crap out of it...no manufacturers bike will support abuse...

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.