Once you go black you never go back

17 replies to this topic
  • cowboyona426

Posted February 24, 2011 - 02:58 PM

Considering going to black plastics on the YZ. So far the only decent looking graphics kits I've come across are the Monster Energy kits from Factory Effex, and while they aren't bad I'm not completely in love with them. Post of photos of some black 06-09's if you have any!

• 4literranger485

Posted February 24, 2011 - 05:42 PM

i had black plastics on my old 2-stroke. they look good when you put them on, but IMO they start to look like crap wayyyyyy faster than any other color of plastics. they really show the scratches/scuffs etc.

• MXR176

Posted February 24, 2011 - 07:01 PM

Once you go black you will go BACK! I have to agree with 4literranger485.....

• grayracer513

Posted February 24, 2011 - 07:59 PM

This kit looks good with black plastics:

http://www.yamaha-mo...0/0/detail.aspx

• Smokeslider

Posted February 25, 2011 - 05:17 PM

Posted Image

This is my recent favorite. I'm thinking about going this route on my 06 hopefully this fall if I can find some graphics to fit.

• cowboyona426

Posted February 26, 2011 - 12:09 AM

I can't believe there isn't more options out there for some kits that would look good on black plastic... I like the ones gray posted but once you slap those over a black shroud it's kinda pointless. I like the kit Chad posted too but I'm just not in love with the big Monster logos all over... I might look into a custom setup with a splash of white or silver and blue in the shroud but I'm not sure I want to put that much effort into it not knowing if I'm going to end up liking the black in the long run or not.

• shrubitup

Posted February 27, 2011 - 01:51 PM

Black looks roached after about two single track trips. I like the white kit Grey posted up. Though I would keep blue fenders as the white ones look dirty all the time. I think I'll install the white kit on blue plastic. I have my OEM white but it's reserved for when I sell it. :thumbsup:

• rasta

Posted February 27, 2011 - 09:43 PM

07-

Posted Image

• dirtdevil72

Posted February 28, 2011 - 09:00 AM

Posted Image

This is my recent favorite. I'm thinking about going this route on my 06 hopefully this fall if I can find some graphics to fit.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::smirk:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cowboyona426

Posted March 17, 2011 - 07:17 AM

Anyone else have some photos of nice graphic kits on black 06-09 bikes?

• ttr250dude

Posted March 20, 2011 - 12:42 AM

Looks great :thumbsup: Any more pics?

• DBMX 925

Posted March 20, 2011 - 03:21 AM

It's quite simple, bikes were not meant to be black.

• shrubitup

Posted March 20, 2011 - 09:41 AM

What he said.

• Mr. Neutron

Posted March 20, 2011 - 11:47 AM

Ya know, it's weird..... Being an old carp, there's still a sort of "stigma" attached to black dirt bikes, for me..... Back in Oklahoma (where I'm originally from) and in the late '60s/early '70s, every black dirt bike I ever saw was usually a stolen bike. :ride:

Cosmetics are purely a "personal" sorta thing, as far as I'm concerned. To each their own, as they say.... But I still, to this day, wonder if a black bike I see is stolen..... :thumbsup:

I guess it's kinda like recalling the old "You Meet The Nicest People on A Honda" ad campaign, back when motorcycling was trying to change it's image from the "Harley Bad Ass" kinda image to be more of a "Even Housewives Are Riding!' kind of a deal. It's funny how now when you see the "Harley Bad Ass" folks, they're typically attorneys or accountants, and they're at a Starbucks..... :bonk:

Jimmie

• ttr250dude

Posted March 20, 2011 - 01:01 PM

Diesel, why were mosy stolen bikes black? Did theives tend to paint them black or where black bikes the cool thing and everyone wanted them?

• Mr. Neutron

Posted March 20, 2011 - 01:57 PM

Diesel, why were mosy stolen bikes black? Did theives tend to paint them black or where black bikes the cool thing and everyone wanted them?

I dunno why they were always painted black.... :bonk: Maybe the thieves had an abundance of black paint? :ride: Since a good amount of stolen motorcycles are taken by someone that lives near where the bike lives, I theorize they were painting them to make them "unrecognizeable" to the real owner, perhaps??? Years later, after I moved to Portland, I had a 1979 Honda CR125R (the most evil handling POS I ever oned.... :lol: ) stolen out of the back of my truck, in my driveway, by two local teenagers. I got it back before they had a chance to paint it....

You just never saw a stolen one painted, say, pink, for whatever reason..... :thumbsup: :p

Jimmie

• Dylan8kawasaki

Posted March 20, 2011 - 02:09 PM

I saw a stolen bike painted green and they were saying it was a kawasaki when it was a newer yz250f :bonk: Keep in mind you can use a razor blade to shave get rid of deep scratches on black plastics and then finish of the plastic by using VERY fine sandpaper and then finally buff it. hat's how I keep my black plastic number plates so shiny.... If i was you though I would keep the blue plastics because they can easily be shiny new again with the help of a heat gun :thumbsup:

Posted Image

• grayracer513

Posted March 20, 2011 - 09:22 PM

I disagree.

Posted Image

http://www.bikeexif....ommando_961.jpg

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Should I buy this bike? help....... by Numsa Hul

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 10 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.