G-Man and F-Pilot

20 replies to this topic
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted April 08, 2001 - 06:00 PM

G, thanks for the intro to F-Pilot at Canyon today. F, nice talking with you about your 426F and my 250F. I hate to admit it but I think you guys might be faster than me. That's OK, gives me a goal right!

The new Tech 8's made a big difference today but the foot is still tender. Hope it's in better shape next weekend for the AZOTMX international.

G, the 20 inch set up looked sweet - not that you need any more help going fast - arrgghhh!

Got a chance to try out the new Acerbis MX handguards trying to stay with you through a tight turn G. I lost traction exiting the turn and fell. No broken lever, no broken fingers - just a scratched handguard. I'm sold!

G, remember one thing - internal combustion engines need an energy source to run. It's always good to get those kinds of bugs worked out in practice. Hey, remind me to check my gas before each moto next weekend. (You knew this was coming - gotcha! :) )

• Ontario_Rider

Posted April 08, 2001 - 06:26 PM

Hey Paul.. where'd you get that cool exhaust.. on your 250f :) Jody

• MXOldtimer

Posted April 08, 2001 - 06:50 PM

Hey guys looks like I wont be going to Az. for there round of the Oldtimers. I'm still not sure how they canged the rules atfer the season started, (6 zones to 4)and it seems no one can give a straight awnser on the change but thats along drive and if I dont have too. Right now im kind of kicking myself I sure want to go but,but,but. Did any of you go to Turdairy ooops I mean Tulare?

Doug

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted April 09, 2001 - 08:45 AM

Jody,
It's a specially tuned factory exhaust system (or maybe I got it's from the Great White North, 'eh!)

MXOldtimer,
Too bad you aren't going to make the AZOT international next weekend. We practiced on a charbroiled Canyon track yesterday to get ready for next weekends race. It will be nice for the international though, we sorted out some change to the track that need to be made. Should be fun - give it more thought, I'm sure G-man would be happy to pay your expenses!!! :)

• G-Man

Posted April 09, 2001 - 11:26 AM

"Got a chance to try out the new Acerbis MX handguards trying to stay with you through a tight turn G. I lost traction exiting the turn and fell. No broken lever, no broken fingers - just a scratched handguard. I'm sold!"

Paul,
So that's what happened to you after I flew past you on the Tower Hill Step Up (did you get a good look at my drainplug? :D )
I thought you got scared and hada clean out your shorts!!! LOL

Actually those are basically roost and small brush deflectors, you might have got lucky regarding the clutch lever. They by no means give ya a license to crash! The full on Enduro wraparound style are better control savers but they look kinda dorky for full Moto.

"G, remember one thing - internal combustion engines need an energy source to run."

Oh yes I got lucky on that one good thing I didn't run out of fuel on the dropdown double or Suicide hill etc. Thanks for the gas, I guess I was putting in extra laps to prepare for this weekend. I accomplished that and did the tricky step down double, so I feel good about that. With the no traction conditions made things really interesting leading up to it.

Did your boys have any fun? :)

G

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted April 09, 2001 - 07:16 PM

Just wait till my injured foot is less than twice it's normal size and you'll be the one looking up at drain plugs G! I'm still reeling you in brother and you don't even know it. :D

Yeah, I know the MX guards are for roost and small brush - ever little bit helps as much as I have been crashing lately.

I used your strategy early in the day and rode hard for about 35-40 minutes (or as hard as I could with the tender tootsie. I can't believe how out of shape I feel today after only a two week layoff. I usually do a lot of brisk walking everyday but since the injury I have been dormant. My right leg really hurts today, I've had to keep my weight off my foot so the leg must have lost some strength. This week I will try to apply normal weight to the right foot/leg and do a lot more walking and some resistance excercises to strengthen it up some before this weekends insanity at the AZOT international.

What's your line on the tricky step down, way right so the little bump in the corner doesn't come into play so much right after landing the step down? What gear are you hitting it in and are you down shifting before the turn or clutching it some?

My sons had fun at Canyon yesterday. My oldest son is still not sure if he is going to race next Sunday or not but my middle son will be racing for sure on Sunday. My youngest son is going to pit for me on Saturday (you know, preparing my post crash ice packs and stuff :) )

Later...

• F-Pilot

Posted April 09, 2001 - 08:19 PM

Paul,it was good to finally meet you, I think once your foot heals up G is in for it. I can see it now , you railing a turn ahead of Gary and Wham! your on the ground and he slams into your bike and ruins his new 20"er. Remember: RUBBER SIDE DOWN! :D
Very interesting that the Canadian bikes come with 756's, extra parts and different muffler ends. I'll be giving you a call when I'm ready for my YZ450F.

G-man, my dorky handguards don't look any worse than that squared off new 20" gold rim.
Your bike will look like Mister T if you put any more gold on it! :D

MxOt, too bad you can't make it but we'll all get together at Mammoth, right? None of us were at Tulare but there were a couple of Az guys there, Tim, my buddy, fell in a corner and got rammed, he is questionable for our race.

Just to set the record straight, not scare anybody away, the jumps at Canyon are called Suicide, Homicide, Death Pit (was removed when someone tragically did) and I'm not sure on the one double but maybe Cyanide or Natural Causes or something. :D

See Ya'll Sat. Let's kick some OTMX butt! :)

[This message has been edited by F-Pilot (edited 04-09-2001).]

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted April 10, 2001 - 06:13 AM

F-Pilot, just to set the record straight - my 250F has 755's on it and they are in really good shape. They don't get much wear with the bike laying on it's side so much.

I pity the fool who messes with T-Man - I mean G-Man! :)

I like your race face F :D, looks like you are ready to roost!

Seriously, they need to change the names of the obsticles at Canyon after the recent most unfortunate occurrence, pretty inappropriate I would say.

Later...

• G-Man

Posted April 10, 2001 - 09:40 PM

"Just wait till my injured foot is less than twice it's normal size and you'll be the one looking up at drain plugs G!"

The only time I'll be looking up at your drainplug is if I'm flat on my back and I'm changing your oil. :D

Actually Paul I havta admit I was impressed with your corner speed in the tight stuff, looks like that lil 250 gets around there pretty good. Keep it on two wheels, don't stall and use the tight stuff to your advantage and you should do real well this weekend.

Didn't get to dice with F-Pilot he was checking out the tricky stepdown before I had the nerve to try it. With the dry and slippery conditions this is how I did it:

Went to the outside berm, dumped the clutch to get a good drive out and this is important, MAKE SURE you are lined up straight going off. It really isn't that bad even if you don't clear it all the way, sqeeze the bike tight with your legs and hang on tight. You can land on either side but yea the inside has the kicker that messes you up for the corner. The outside is smoother plus it gives you speed to clear the lil double following that.

BUT, if you go wide you leave room for someone to stuff you, so we shall see on Sunday. If the track is prepped I can clear it from the inside.

"you railing a turn ahead of Gary and Wham! your on the ground and he slams into your bike and ruins his new 20"er."

F-Pilot it looks like I already did a pretty good job of "breaking in" the 20" incher. :)

"G-man, my dorky handguards don't look any worse than that squared off new 20" gold rim.
Your bike will look like Mister T if you put any more gold on it!"

Oops, I forgot you had those, actually both my buddies have them, Mark Anderson, and Jim Conners and they are very effective. :D

Hey Mr. T is my hero I just might dig up some gold chains! LOL Actually my girlfriend made a similar comment. I have a rear goldie I was gonna use but after last Sunday I think I'm gonna stick with thew stocker as I don't want two tweaked Rims! :D

BTW Bob, don't know if you noticed Cheryl but she's got her eye on you...hehehe
:D

Yea let's kick some OT ASS, what happened to YZEarnie and Scott F, I thought they wanted some lessons on how we do it out here in the rugged ol dez... :D

G-Man

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted April 10, 2001 - 12:10 PM

Hey G, come on over and look at my drain plug - I need my oil changed! :D

Thanks for the kudo's on my corner speed but it seems like I crawl around the tight turns. Here is the deal, the 250F made a considerable difference (over my 400F) in my ability to place the bike where I want it because of the lighter weight and the slim ergos. The problem is that I have very short legs (28 inch inseam) and feel unstable when I lean this tall (to me) bike over in turns. I really need to consider doing the Carmichael thing and get the bike lowered. I think my corner speed would increase significantly if I did this. Equally important is figuring out what that shinny metal thing is just forward of the throttle grip. I hear it can help get you around corners better too! I was forced to use that shinny metal thing at Sundays practice because my right foot is simi-useless right now.

So you recommend hitting the step down outside, I'll think about it. I discovered a creative line on the short straight with the two bumps that follows the step down. I'll share it with you Saturday, it starts out good and gets better! :)

Need to know how hard the landing is on the step down. With 5 motos in 2 days I am trying to limit the hard landings as much as possible. :D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • G-Man

Posted April 10, 2001 - 04:09 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Paul in AZ:
[B]Hey G, come on over and look at my drain plug - I need my oil changed! :)

I wish I had time!!! I have a job interview tomorrow, havta do taxes (for me and my buddy) network for other jobs etc.

Then START on my bike, mount new tire, change oil, filter, and put on number plate backgrounds and #'s!!! :D

Yikes I better get busy!!!

• F-Pilot

Posted April 11, 2001 - 04:44 PM

Paul, I'm curious about this "line" you have. Those two bumps on that short straight are a double! Really easy to clear but not so easy to brake for the inside of the next turn. I wish he would put humps on the inside of all the turns so you can go wide and not get stuffed so easily!

G, I don't remember meeting Cheryl (unless she is your girlfriend 'cuz I'm really bad at remembering names). :) She was probably checkin' out my beautiful YOT graphics or my new Axo gear.
Ditto on the bike prep, less to do but Sat is coming fast! :D

I see the weather is gonna' be good but a little warm, possibly 90+. :D

• Jeepentj

Posted April 12, 2001 - 05:37 AM

I live in Arizona and have no idea what race you guys are referring to? Is it at Canyon this weekend? What race is it? Thanks for the information.

• F-Pilot

Posted April 12, 2001 - 01:44 PM

Arizona Old Timers MX club, 40+ only.
This is our round of the International series, each club hosts 1 round.
There will be mostly riders from Cal., Nev and maybe a few from farther away.
It's at Canyon this Sat. and Sun. http://www.azotmx.com
If your old enough and like to moto you should join us!

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted April 12, 2001 - 06:35 PM

F, go wide and glide - I'll explain Sat. Got my son and my bike/gear all prepped last night. I agree with you on the humped turns, maybe Zach made some good changes to the track this week.

I was looking at the race order and times this evening. If we don't have split gates we're in for 11.3 hours of MX fun on Sat. My guess is split gates, doubt Zach wants to turn on the lights for the last races.

Jeepentj
Come on out to race (over 40) or watch, no entry fee to watch this weekend. You can see some "mature" riders act immature!
if you don't know where Canyon is here is their website: http://www.copracing.com

• G-Man

Posted April 13, 2001 - 11:17 AM

F-Pilot,
Cheryl was the blond that was riding the XR200 around. She will be there both days this weekend camping with us. She's been a close friend for yrs and it's real quite a "soap opera" but she's real cool and digs dirtbikes. :D

"I see the weather is gonna' be good but a little warm, possibly 90+."

Good thing we have those nice light weight "ventilated" jerseys huh!

Jeepentj,

Come on out and join us, you will have a great time! :D

Paul,
I'm doing the # plate backgrounds what a freaken pain in the ASS!!!!
You gotta be some kinda magician to put them on, I had to make 2-3 cuts on them to make them fit!!! :)

Lets hold up the AZ Flag HIGH, boys, and kick sum foreigner butt!!!

G-Man

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted April 13, 2001 - 12:18 PM

G, just keep plenty of windex on the back and the squegee nearby, then get the blow dryer out for the kinks at the slits. It is not a fun task!

I won't sleep tonight, I know it. :D

I'll sleep tomorrow night though!

AZOTMX'ers all the way baby :)

• teamtoxic

Posted April 13, 2001 - 03:43 PM

<font color="navy">Well guys, good luck at the race. I really enjoy you guys rippin on each other, its fun to read. I'm glad you guys are still racing like you're young. I've got many years ahead, I just turned 16. :)
G-man, I can feel ya when you say what a pain putting those numberplate backgrounds on. Geez! :D It took me about an hour to get the left side on, then about 1/2 hour to get the right side on. ALL THEM CURVES! I did well though, no bubbles, creases and I didn't have to cut them up any. I would recommend 2 ways to put them on...
1. use soapy water and a hairdryer
2. have someone else do it :D

Again you guys, good luck! Ride safe! Wish I lived out west, I'd go watch!

And remember one thing.....

You don't stop riding because you get old. You get old because you stop riding. :D

------------------
~~~~~YaMaHaFoUrTwOsIx~~~~~

• MXOldtimer

Posted April 13, 2001 - 05:34 PM

Man if Eric Mckenna & Alex Jorgansen make the trek down to Az. you guys are in for a real treat, those guys go at it tooth and nail, each time I watch them duke it out im still amazed. My moneys on the fire breathing 426 though :-)

Ride fast, ride safe this weekend guys I wish I was there, maybe I'll see ya at Marysvile :-)

Doug

• G-Man

Posted April 13, 2001 - 07:46 PM

Thx Team Toxic,
Well just 16, you sound pretty cool unlike a lotta other 16yr olds. :) Your absolutely right, you have many yrs. Use them wisely and you will have a long and fruitfull riding career. I've seen a lot "come and go" more than I can count.

"And remember one thing.....

You don't stop riding because you get old. You get old because you stop riding."

I like that quote, it's so freaken true....

MXOldtimer,

Thx pal, yea I wish you could make it too. Those two guys do haul ass, actually my cousin live in Sac. maybe I could get a Factory Ride for that race!

G

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.