Taking the YZ to the dunes this weekend...

11 replies to this topic
  • 2009YZ450F

Posted February 24, 2011 - 07:25 AM

We have a big group of people going out to the Glamis sand dunes, and this will be the second time I've taken the YZ out there. I've done the normal maintenance like air filter, oil change, oil filter, chain adjust and regreased and checked wheel/steering/linkage bearings. Is there anything you guys do to prep your bikes for the sand?

I was thinking of taping the two side vents on the air box up to prevent a little of the sand from getting in. I think this would affect some of the airflow, but I'm not sure how much air those vents flow. What do you guys think?

• 4literranger485

Posted February 24, 2011 - 08:46 AM

i think those holes flow most of the air. the seat is on the top, and while i'm sure it's not air tight, its definitely more restricted than those holes. then theres the breather hole on the bottom of the air box.

i've never taped the air-box at the dunes, just make sure your filter is oiled properly, and don't be afraid to grease the mating surface to the airbox. pre-filter covers can also help. and if you dump the bike, shut it down ASAP or pick it up so it's not laying on the ground trying to suck up dirt.

• 2009YZ450F

Posted February 24, 2011 - 09:20 AM

yeah that's the only thing i'm really concerned about is dumping it and scooping sand into the airbox. the filter is new and has a big fat bead of grease around the sealing lip.

• strtdsmallproject

Posted February 24, 2011 - 09:40 AM

We used to run panty hose over the filter when we went to the sand. I miss the hell out of some dunes. These trees are hard!

• grayracer513

Posted February 24, 2011 - 10:46 AM

You should be more concerned about dumping it and scooping sand into the exhaust. The air box has a filter in it. (Nylon hose over the foam is a good idea)

The other thing is the breather. Try to avoid stopping or starting the engine with the breather stuck in the sand. You should reroute it, split it, or install a filter over the end for safety's sake. Nothing too restrictive, though. A simple countermeasure would be a single thickness piece of nylon hosiery taped over the end.

• 2009YZ450F

Posted February 24, 2011 - 11:38 AM

I didn't have any issues last time, I think I'm just being a little paranoid. Falling in the dunes is a given, I just need to make sure that I pay attention to what hits the sand and where. I like the idea of covering the breather with something, that seems like a good plan We used to do the panty hose trick on the filters too, on some of the open air box quads that we used to take. I miss the bored and stroked Banshee's on alky that we used to have haha

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • clutchless

Posted February 24, 2011 - 02:16 PM

Remove your rear shock guard. make sure your rear tire is far enough away from the linkage. Sand paddle tires stretch at high speeds and the paddles can come in contact with the linkage and frame. Ruin your bearings and destroy your paddle tire.

Some people put duct tape over their rear spring so the sand doesn't pit the shaft on their rear shock, i never do this.

I change air filters every day.

Bring extra coolant. I use engine ice.

I run 8 PSI in the front tire.

We found that cutting your whip to 5 feet and zip tying it to your camel back works better then mounting it on your bike, it just snaps off on your bike and you end up losing it.

Be sure to bring your registration docs for the bike, we have been pulled over and asked to present these. We thought our red stickers acted as plates but they don't. So i usually stick my proof of reg in my camelback with some key tools and minimal first aide stuff.

Don't peak over dunes. watch out for morons, and have a good time.

Glamis rules.

• dalonar

Posted February 24, 2011 - 04:58 PM

is there camping/rv hookups near glamis?

• 4literranger485

Posted February 24, 2011 - 05:40 PM

We found that cutting your whip to 5 feet and zip tying it to your camel back works better then mounting it on your bike, it just snaps off on your bike and you end up losing it.

:smirk: i always bring 2-flags. forgot about that. usually they end up as about 3 ft long nubbs sticking out of the swinger mount from breaking off so many times

• YamaLink

Posted February 25, 2011 - 08:27 AM

I'll drop the forks down a few mm and increase high speed compression sometimes. Maybe put in a larger main. And then I turn on the idiot radar to 11 cuz dunes, while insanely fun, can be more chaotic than an Egyptian protest.

• Gunner354

Posted February 25, 2011 - 09:52 AM

:p

I'll drop the forks down a few mm and increase high speed compression sometimes. Maybe put in a larger main. And then I turn on the idiot radar to 11 cuz dunes, while insanely fun, can be more chaotic than an Egyptian protest.

:smirk::rant::applause::lol::applause::p

• Sheridan450F

Posted February 25, 2011 - 10:59 AM

lol

I'm hitting gordons well up March 1st-6th. Got the bike all ready. Except for a 160main I need to put in, is that what you guys run at Glamis? What PSI for paddle?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.