CHEST PROTECTOR, is it really needed 4 Trailriders ?

31 replies to this topic
  • jus heeebz

Posted July 30, 2003 - 11:12 PM

Wasnt chest protectors made back in the day to protect your chest from back tire roost on the track? What do YOU think? Is it needed for trailriders ? :)

• ekemner

Posted July 31, 2003 - 02:23 AM

Hell yes it is! I had a crash last year on my KX250 that I had and I ended up being flipped off the bike and I landed on some small tree stumps which cracked my chest protector. It would have been my back without the protector!! :)

• tctrailrider

Posted July 31, 2003 - 02:43 AM

Picture yourself being gored by a tree limb. I think they are more of a necessity in the woods than anywhere else.

• MOmilkman

Posted July 31, 2003 - 03:22 AM

Ride around with one on for a year and then look at the damage on it and tell me it didnt serve you well.

I would never ride without one. Even if I was dabbling in MX.

• SMD

Posted July 31, 2003 - 03:27 AM

I would not ride without one......why take a chance.

• jwriott

Posted July 31, 2003 - 04:41 AM

I agree completely. As a person who takes both earth and plant samples on a regular basis at high speed, mine has saved me a ton of times.

I would also argue that it helps even more off road protecting you from roost than it does on a track. I've gotten hit in the chest with baseball sized rocks and trust me, it hurts way more than dirt roost.

I ride very closely behind my buddies when we rail through the trees and out in the open on fireroads and sand washes and his XR650R spews a ton of roost. Same with my other buddies KTM450.

If you buy one, look for as much coverage on the upper arm/shoulder area. Some of the designs I've seen don't offer any protection there and I've gotten tagged hard in those areas.

• MOmilkman

Posted July 31, 2003 - 04:48 AM

Really IMO you cant have too much gear. In this day and age they have made it where its actually comfortable and effective in preventing injuries.

Thats one of the big plusses over the old days.

The only piece of protective equipment Ive ever bought that just wasnt comfortable was the Acerbis Zoom Plus checst protector. It was way too big and restrictive.

• BrandonW

Posted July 31, 2003 - 05:12 AM

We all put every skid plate/carbon fiber/hand-guards/blah/blah/blah on our bikes, then skimp when it comes to protecting ourselves.

Why? I did it too, but not any more. I look like Eric Dickerson on my motorbike! He was a running back from the 80's, and his philosophy was "If they make something to protect it, I am going to wear it" and I think that is the way to go. (Neck rool, protective eye glasses, elbow pads, forarm pads...)

Like Rap Master "D" says, the stuff they make today provides a lot of coverage, and it does not get in the way. No good reason not to wear it.

Posted Image

• blireef

Posted July 31, 2003 - 05:16 AM

My wife broke her chest protector in 3 places when she went off the road down a cliff -like hill. You tell me what that means. Mine looks like it's been through a war. B ranches sticking out in woods are in my opinion one of the most dangerous things we face. Try and get one with the rib protectors between the front and back plate. When you fall at low speed, which is most of our falls, you land on your side most of the time. :)

• MOmilkman

Posted July 31, 2003 - 06:03 AM

Brandon, Is that your signed pic of ED?

How much? :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Chris_from_Oz

Posted July 31, 2003 - 06:09 AM

Ever seen footage of the running of the bulls in Pamplona? I think most of the guys that get gored by bulls get off pretty lightly compared to what a tree branch will do if it spears you at 60mph. I would wear a chest protector, in fact wear as much quality protective gear as you can afford.

• BrandonW

Posted July 31, 2003 - 06:09 AM

Not mine. Googled him, and linked to somebody else's photo.

Curt Warner was my man!
#28!

Posted Image

• GrahamO

Posted July 31, 2003 - 07:01 AM

Furthermore... once you put one on you can't even feel it. Why not wear one. They are relatively inexpensive.

I watched my brother bail off a ramp and land on the downward-sloping landing on his back from about 25 feet high. He slid down the landing on his boots, butt and chest protector (in this case back protector), stood up, dusted himself off and kept on riding.

The landing was rough enough to tear a hole in his riding pants and undies and leave huge road-rash on his left cheek. Back - :)... kidneys - :D... spine - :D.

(IMO) Wear your chest protector, even if nobody else is.

• MOmilkman

Posted July 31, 2003 - 07:19 AM

GrahmO, I love your avater.

Thats what the trail looks like when I pass someone.

Sure you didnt take that right after I passed you? :)

• GrahamO

Posted July 31, 2003 - 08:04 AM

There weren't too many people around. But... perhaps... when I looked down to see why my leg was getting so hot, you could have passed me then.

Speaking of avaters and passing... What is your avater passing?

• MOmilkman

Posted July 31, 2003 - 08:14 AM

Shes passing the love.

And let me tell you, theres a LOT OF LOVE in my backyard.

• motomanfan

Posted July 31, 2003 - 08:23 AM

:) :D :D

• lipskid

Posted July 31, 2003 - 02:29 PM

Every time I come tumbling back down some mountain of rocks one of my "friends" calls a "trail", I fall in love with my chest protector a little more. :D

POI-less in Colorado :)

• huskyrider

Posted July 31, 2003 - 04:10 PM

I actually feel naked without it.
Personally, I think it's important on the trail than the track. I try to never follow behind another rider at the track, but am always forced to in the forest until I can get around on a wider trail, unless I'm in the company of faster riders in which case I eat roost or back off.
You want to know the worst feeling in the world?
Cleaning the muck off your goggles and chest protector from your little bro riding an XR250. How can a bike that slow be so fast through the woods?

• timvv51

Posted July 31, 2003 - 04:21 PM

The shoulder padding of chest protectors really help protect your collar bones from some angles. The plastic is slick and slides gradually to a stop instead of being wrenched to a sudden stop by jersey fabric then flesh and bone sticking and deforming into the loam and rocks. Get the picture.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.