Help Rear shock spring.

5 replies to this topic
  • blakers213

Posted February 22, 2011 - 05:10 PM

Got new shock spring coming from F.C. Got my rear shock off and can't get the spring off. I hate yamaha owners manual. Nowhere does it say how to remove the spring.I have the nuts on top screwed all the way up. There is two spring retainers on the bottom of the spring. One has a cut out and the other is completely round. The rubber bottoming out pad is below the spring retainers.I know it is something simple but I cannot figure it out.

• howard113

Posted February 22, 2011 - 05:12 PM

all i did was remove my shock from my bike,get a flat head screw driver and a hammer,and then start tapping it and it does take time,but thats how you get the spring off.its very easy.just time consuming.make sure you tap the top nut thing first and then do the one that is actually keeping the spring compressed

http://www.youtube.c...115/oD50uZV55ME

you dont need that tool as shown in the video though.like i stated before,a flat head screw driver anda hammer will do just fine!:smirk:

• blakers213

Posted February 22, 2011 - 05:35 PM

all i did was remove my shock from my bike,get a flat head screw driver and a hammer,and then start tapping it and it does take time,but thats how you get the spring off.its very easy.just time consuming.make sure you tap the top nut thing first and then do the one that is actually keeping the spring compressed

http://www.youtube.c...115/oD50uZV55ME

you dont need that tool as shown in the video though.like i stated before,a flat head screw driver anda hammer will do just fine!:smirk:

I did the top nuts. I can't get the bottom spring retainer that is cut out over the rubber bump stop. In the video his bump stop just slid up mine seems to be fixed to the bottom metal part.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tpars121

Posted February 22, 2011 - 05:56 PM

I did the top nuts. I can't get the bottom spring retainer that is cut out over the rubber bump stop. In the video his bump stop just slid up mine seems to be fixed to the bottom metal part.

It may take a little prying but the rubber bump stop will slide up.

• RJacks

Posted February 22, 2011 - 06:20 PM

Your bumper is not fixed, it kind of snaps in place. Use two flat head screwdrivers 180 degrees apart and gently pry the bumper up the shock shaft.

• blakers213

Posted February 22, 2011 - 06:21 PM

It may take a little prying but the rubber bump stop will slide up.

Got it off.:smirk: JUst a little twist of the bumper stop and it slid right up. Us suspension newbies are just scared of tearing into something that is not supposed to be torn into. Thanks for your help guys.....again.Now just waiting on U.P.S. truck on Friday with my new spring.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.