Enclosed Trailer setup help

12 replies to this topic
  • 13charger68

Posted February 21, 2011 - 05:18 PM

I picked up a used 7x16 v nose enclosed trailer and need some advice on how to set it up right for riding/racing/hauling stuff. I got the checkered linoleum that was peeling off the floor removed and need a solution for floor coating that is durable, not slippery and resistant to fuel, oil, etc. The other part is there are hooks on the wall which I am sure will work for securing stuff to the walls, but don't do much for securing bike to the floor. Fully loaded I'll have my wife's Honda 400EX up front, my yz450f on one side behind it and my sons pair of king cobras on the other side. I figure I could go with E track or floor rings but do I need to do wheel chocks? I already spent a lot of money on the trailer, what is the most efficient way to get it set up now without breaking the bank?

• amadeus

Posted February 21, 2011 - 08:12 PM

go to etrailer.com for cargo control items.
Herculiner for floor (good bang for buck)

When y'er ready to spend more take a look at this thread
http://www.thumperta...nclosed trailer

• Chickenhauler

Posted February 21, 2011 - 08:15 PM

I'd swap your layout around, put the 450 in the very nose with a wheel chock, then the kiddie bikes on either side and slightly back from that, with the couch in the rear.

This way, you can have your chocks and they're not in the way of loading and unloading the couch. I hate E-track on the floor, it's a dirt catcher. Mine is mounted on the wall as low as it can be and rings that can be moved to any location along the length of the wall.

I have these wheel chocks.

http://shop.thumpert...fault.asp?p=230

The hardware was kinda cheesy (stupid expand-a-bolt garbage), and I chose to back them with a solid plate of aluminum instead of the crap they came with, but still a good bargain.

For the ATV, I'd just tie it off to the e-track using four points, it won't go anywhere.

• 13charger68

Posted February 22, 2011 - 06:03 PM

Thanks for the advice. I was leaning towards the DIY bedliner already, but was concerned it might not stick as well to wood. Makes sense to put the bikes up towards the front since I won't be hauling the 4 wheeler most of the time to the races.

• jc7622

Posted February 24, 2011 - 06:47 PM

- Recessed tie down points in the floor (Lowe's).
- Removable Pingle wheel chocks.
- Rake and shovel holders for the boots (Lowe's)
- Cord holders for the helmets (Lowe's)
- Mush baskets for the goggles, gloves, pads, etc (Lowe's)
- Not shown - tool chest in the right corner
- Carry a CO2 tank for air
- Rubber floor mat on the floor (Lowe's)
- Rod and shelf for riding gear (Lowe's or Home Depot ???)

Posted Image

Posted Image

• 13charger68

Posted February 25, 2011 - 05:57 AM

I like the setup, should I back the floor hardware with a piece of steel or will washers work fine? With our soggy and dry seasons in WA I am a bit concerned about the wood swelling/shrinking cycles and the hardware loosening up.

• Chickenhauler

Posted February 25, 2011 - 10:01 AM

I like the setup, should I back the floor hardware with a piece of steel or will washers work fine? With our soggy and dry seasons in WA I am a bit concerned about the wood swelling/shrinking cycles and the hardware loosening up.

I'd back it with a full plate if you can, this way the tension will be spread over a much larger area.

• weantright

Posted February 25, 2011 - 10:41 AM

I have a 7' x 19' w/4' v nose drive in/out trailer. I don't use anything on the floors, I use the trailer for snowmobiles in the off season. If you do use a DIY bed liner roll-on stuff add sand to the mix. Why do you want anything on the floor?? Harder to clear and the wood should be slip resistant. I never had a problem inside my trailer with the bikes. Winter is a different story.

Hooks for the wall?? DIY, McMaster Carr stainless flat stock 1/8-1/4”, cut 3” long and screw into your wall studs. I have 6-8 inside my trailer mid high used for helmets and gear. Use one screw so when you hit them with your hip they twist, less painful. At the top I use peg board hooks into my plywood I have on the walls. If you don’t have wall board (1/8” plywood) get some or you will have holes/dents in your trailer walls.

Lastly my bike tie downs system. I made for 4 bikes (2 bikes facing each other) triangles to chuck the wheels, welded to a bar the width of the trailer. Used threaded rods with hooks to hold down using floor rings that came with the trailer. I mount the bikes ¾ ways back over the axles leaving room front and back of bikes. I also made removable wheel chucks that quickly attach to the bar giving me 6 bikes tie down. I have a front door so when I do have a quad it goes in the front.

I can haul 8 full size bikes inside the trailer and three in the bed of the truck and still have room for all the gear. I also have custom design fold away racks to hold anti-freeze, oil, lube, starting fluid. Fold away table, shelf and a spare tire. Of course all this is easier when I design for a living, some free material and a good welder. Sure I could have gone and bought all these items at Pit Boss or trailer supplies places but I would rather spend the money on go-fast stickers.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted February 26, 2011 - 12:07 PM

I have a 6x12 trailer and this is my set up.

Posted Image

Posted Image

i just bought some of those wire rack hangies from lowes that you use to make your own closet shelving and used it to make shelves in my trailer so I could hang my riding gear on.

• ktmrider2002

Posted April 27, 2011 - 12:16 PM

I have a 6x12 trailer and this is my set up.

Posted Image

Posted Image

i just bought some of those wire rack hangies from lowes that you use to make your own closet shelving and used it to make shelves in my trailer so I could hang my riding gear on.

If your trailer was empty except for bikes could you fit 5 bikes in there?

• Chickenhauler

Posted April 27, 2011 - 03:02 PM

If your trailer was empty except for bikes could you fit 5 bikes in there?

I do four bikes in a 5x10+ Vnose, but they're in there at a 45 degree angle, with the first bike nosed into the tip of the "V".

I still have room on the tail to put the gas cans and gear bags.

• toyota_mdt_tech

Posted April 27, 2011 - 04:11 PM

I did, i installed the recessed 1200 lb D ring, and I used a 2" wide piece of plate steel about 12" long and mounted them under the floor decking. my flooring is 3/4" thick. I too, live in WA.

• scott_01_xr400

Posted May 22, 2011 - 10:39 PM

you might get a couple ideas from this setup.
http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=984905

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.