fork gaitors/sleeves

10 replies to this topic
  • pymn2001

Posted July 30, 2003 - 09:34 AM

Hello folks
Winters on its way no doubt for us England wallers, are the neoprene sleeves any good for saving fork seals or are they extra add on crap, and if so where do you get them if poss in blighty all the best toodle pip :)

• MOmilkman

Posted July 30, 2003 - 09:39 AM

They are really worth their weight in gold in my book. Some might argue they trap a little dirt up in there but if it does, its not as much dirt as what get up in there without them.

I think I seen a ad banner here on TT. You can click that (so TT can get credit) to go to their website or go to www.sealsavers.com

• pymn2001

Posted July 30, 2003 - 09:44 AM

I Thank You :)

• John_Lorenz

Posted July 30, 2003 - 09:49 AM

I will ditto what Momilk says. I have had the sealsavers on my bike for a year now. Seals look brand new and the savers still in perfect shape.

www.sealsavers.com

• gal

Posted July 30, 2003 - 09:44 PM

i went to a diving shop that make diving equipment and ordered a pair cost me half price of the sealsavers or mudguards

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • banffboy

Posted July 31, 2003 - 08:35 AM

I use the fork boots from ProGrip. I've had them on a couple of bikes and never have problems with seals :)

• Indy_WR450

Posted July 31, 2003 - 08:53 AM

I buy the long seal savers and cut them down to 5" long and get about 3 sets per pair. I replace them once a month and put heavy grease under my seal covers. This set up works well. I do not clean under the seal savers like they recommend. I check them and since they loosen up by the time there is enough dirt under them to warrant any cleaning it is time to replace them. I slip them over the forks and clamp them just under fork guide clamp so only about 1/2" is sticking out above the clamp. The rest is set up so 4" of the inner fork tube is overlapped by the seal saver. Any more then 4" is a problem when bottoming out. You do not need any sticking out of the clamp. I often see them advertise with the outter fork tube overlapped about 5". This serves no purpose and wastes material. Keep in mind the neoprene stretches and fatigues quickly and so replacing them regularily will keep you from having to do your fork seals. Great invention! :)

• MOmilkman

Posted July 31, 2003 - 09:14 AM

I hope sealSavers are offered in the new TT store. I need a pair of black so I can get rid of my ugly neon yellow ones :)

• BigDesto

Posted July 31, 2003 - 10:28 AM

:) They are great!! Have'nt replaced a seal yet, still the original seals!! :D

• spokexx

Posted May 02, 2011 - 06:19 AM

I use the fork boots from ProGrip. I've had them on a couple of bikes and never have problems with seals :thumbsup:

can you tell me what size you used on your WR? upper diam? lower diam? length?

thanks

Edited by spokexx, May 02, 2011 - 07:33 AM.

• DrewRanch

Posted May 05, 2011 - 10:29 AM

can you tell me what size you used on your WR? upper diam? lower diam? length?

thanks

This is an 8 year old thread :thumbsup:

I'm running the "long" Moose Fork Skins in the 44-50mm size. I pitted my fork legs twice (causing leaks) before I picked them up.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.