06 450f header problem

5 replies to this topic
  • yamaha_rider911

Posted February 21, 2011 - 08:32 AM

I just recently discovered that my header pipe has been touching the cylinder head and has etched the cylinder slightly. I have tried tweeking it to pull it away but titanium doesn't bend that well. I was able to pull it away slightly but, I don't think any of the angles are right where it meets the mid pipe. The header only insets into the mid pipe about 3/16" if that, does that sound about right?

GYTR makes a stainless header for 05' and reading posts about them they can work for an 06'. If I go that route does the GYTR allow a heat sheild to be used?

Any suggestions on what I can do?

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

• crf450319

Posted February 23, 2011 - 02:32 PM

If I were you I'd run the bike and get it warmed up, then use some kind of tool as a pry bar and VERY gently pry the header away from the cylinder/head. You'd want to use something wide (carpenter's wrecking bar ?), if you use a screwdriver I'd guess you'd just dent the header. Titanium becomes very pliable when it's warm/hot, which is why I refuse to run anything ti for an exhaust system.

When the stock header is hot, you can move/bend them very easily - I've done it with the stock header on my '09.

Did you mean 3/8" ? 3/16" is no where near enough, something isn't right, even at 3/8" I'd want more than that. Is everything lined up right ? All of the bolts in the right spots ?

• davidl9999

Posted February 23, 2011 - 02:39 PM

Use a long piece of hardwood between the cylinder and pipe and pry the Ti pipe away from the cylinder. Do it with the pipe pretty hot because Ti will brittle-fracture at low temps. 3/16" is not very much, but it looks like your header used to fit in the midpipe properly. Maybe your midpipe isn't in the right spot and it's not the header at all? :smirk:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DPW

Posted February 24, 2011 - 05:47 AM

wouldn't prying on the header while it's on the bike put some stress on the bolts attaching the header to the cylinder?

have you tried loosing up the all the muffler connecting bolts/clamp and see if it snaps back into place like davidl9999 mentioned?

• davidl9999

Posted February 24, 2011 - 10:01 AM

wouldn't prying on the header while it's on the bike put some stress on the bolts attaching the header to the cylinder?
have you tried loosing up the all the muffler connecting bolts/clamp and see if it snaps back into place like davidl9999 mentioned?

I'm sure that it would, but the header is much more ductile than the bolts and boss for those bolts. The header will move before anything happens to the bolts or cylinder.

• crf450319

Posted February 24, 2011 - 06:30 PM

I'm sure that it would, but the header is much more ductile than the bolts and boss for those bolts. The header will move before anything happens to the bolts or cylinder.

X2, I bent my stock ti header and it was touching the bottom of the right rad. When the bike/pipe was hot I grabbed a towel and with a glove on I put a little downward pressure on the header. It bent back down into place very smoothly, took very little pressure to get it back - I moved it a good 1/2" as far as I can remember.

Of course, all of that pushing/bending does weaken the pipe and mine cracked a few weeks down the road. But it bought me enough time to get a new header on the way. With the small amount that the OP has to push/bend his header, I wouldn't suspect there'd be any appreciable stress on anything other than the desired area.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.