2010 Engine Performance Mods?

10 replies to this topic
  • jaro51

Posted February 20, 2011 - 09:18 PM

Looking for suggestions and possible mods to the 2010 450. They are great stock but the one I rode had killer bottom end and then signed off pretty early. I know the GYTR head is a good option, just wondering what else people are doing to get a better top end and maybe a bit more power overall. From what I hear the tuner helps a little to move power around but I tried some of the maps but never got the top end I was looking for. Cams, porting, off the shelf heads, what are guys running?

• 450motard

Posted February 20, 2011 - 10:03 PM

A pipe will really help it with top end... the stock pipe signs off too early.

• rdefonce

Posted February 21, 2011 - 09:30 AM

A pipe will really help it with top end... the stock pipe signs off too early.

I also have a stock '10.

Would replacing only the muffler help, or is it mainly the header pipe that adds to top end power?

• 450motard

Posted February 21, 2011 - 10:25 AM

I also have a stock '10.

Would replacing only the muffler help, or is it mainly the header pipe that adds to top end power?

From what I've read, the header pipe isn't the culprit, it's the muffler. Buy a slip-on and spend the money you saved on something else...

2010 YZ450 Exhaust question

2010 YZ450 Exhaust System

• rdefonce

Posted February 21, 2011 - 01:23 PM

From what I've read, the header pipe isn't the culprit, it's the muffler. Buy a slip-on and spend the money you saved on something else...

2010 YZ450 Exhaust question

2010 YZ450 Exhaust System

Interesting, since stock is a straight-thru muffler. How could an aftermarket muffler perform a lot better since it would also be just straight thru . . . diff length perhaps?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted February 21, 2011 - 02:21 PM

According to Dave at MRD Racing, the OEM muffler has a sudden and fairly major reduction in diameter right at the end in what he believes is an effort to reduce sound. It also appears to reduce the top end power, because he states that his testing with his own slip-ons using the stock header showed a significant increase in pull at the high end. He feels that the OEM header is as good as most anything being offered, and that a proper muffler is all the system needs.

• brentn

Posted February 21, 2011 - 03:45 PM

It does have a good deal of reduction in the diameter of the cap end. Almost all of the slip-ons offer better top end performance, I got an FMF 4.1 slip on and I am very happy with it for my 2010.

If you want to go further there are quite a few options to open up the power of the bike to it's full potential.
Ron hamp has a great head porting service and cam replacement for the 2010. Combine that with a high compression piston, the airbox mod or twin air filter airbox replacement and a slip on and your in business. Depending on your elevation you may or may not have to run race gas with the high compression piston.
Ron hamp was using the stock GYTR tuner with these mods to get about 60hp on the dyno which is pretty amazing.

There is also the option of using a fuel controller piggyback system like the power commander 5. Allows fuel adjustments for the entire RPM range and controls fuel much more precisely than stock.

• jaro51

Posted February 22, 2011 - 06:45 AM

Good info everyone, thanks for the replies! Sounds like a slip on and some tuning is the best place to start. Will likely get the Cycra powerflow shrouds and open up the intake tract. Would prefer to stay out of the motor if at all possible since it's rock solid in stock form.

If I still need some more HP for supermoto use, I'll look into some head work. 60 hp would rule for supermoto but that is a lot of ponies to keep under control on the MX track!

• rdefonce

Posted February 22, 2011 - 07:04 AM

+1, great info guys!

I am going to check out the MRD muffler. Other than that, I'm not a power monger; I will keep it stock accept for a GYTR flywheel and maybe a tuner.

I finally got some break-in time on it, just before the 30 day warranty was up. I'm liking it even stone stock. I notice the top end power is flatter than my '08 but it sure has great low to mid-range punch, right where I want it.
I like the low end, doesn't seem too abrupt to me, something I was concerned about after reading some posts.

• tech24

Posted February 22, 2011 - 01:46 PM

Good info everyone, thanks for the replies! Sounds like a slip on and some tuning is the best place to start. Will likely get the Cycra powerflow shrouds and open up the intake tract. Would prefer to stay out of the motor if at all possible since it's rock solid in stock form.

If I still need some more HP for supermoto use, I'll look into some head work. [COLOR="Red"]60 hp would rule for supermoto but that is a lot of ponies to keep under [/COLOR][COLOR="Red"]control on the MX track[/COLOR]!

from what I understand Ron's 60hp motors are very smooth and great for MX. But I agree 60hp could be a handful depending on power curve.

• grayracer513

Posted February 22, 2011 - 02:00 PM

I have owned a 250 pound 64 hp CR500, and it was barely rideable in some situations, and the extra power was rarely really usable. There were times, but not many. OTOH, I spent a lot of time racing a speedway bike that weighed 180 pounds and had about 60 hp, and never once felt as if it was uncontrollably powerful (the fact that you could wheelie the thing while sideways notwithstanding) or especially that it wouldn't put the power to the ground. The difference? Thumper vs. two-stroke. Simple as that. With contemporary ignition controls big, strong thumpers can be even more manageable.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.