todays bike

6 replies to this topic
  • humpness

Posted February 20, 2011 - 09:10 PM

how much better is a new bike compared to a 5 year old one? Can they still be plenty competitive? Im just curious. I know that 06-09 there wasnt too many changes so how do they stack up to 10-11?

• Family Man

Posted February 21, 2011 - 08:23 AM

The 06-09 bikes are lighter than the current breed, and there is no fuel pump, efi, to fail/malfunction. The 10 and 11s turn better, according to the magazines, havent ridden one yet. Yes the 06-09s are competitve bikes, Everywhere except tight corners. Its more the rider.

• brentn

Posted February 21, 2011 - 05:58 PM

I wish I had the chance to ride an 06-09 to compare to my 2010, but I can tell you that the 2010 has had no malfunctions that I have heard of in regards to the efi system.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RJacks

Posted February 21, 2011 - 06:11 PM

The 06-09 bikes are lighter than the current breed, and there is no fuel pump, efi, to fail/malfunction. The 10 and 11s turn better, according to the magazines, havent ridden one yet. Yes the 06-09s are competitve bikes, Everywhere except tight corners. Its more the rider.

That's kind of a naive statement. The 06-09 bikes are great, in my opinion more of a "lazy" bike. What I mean by that is it is less racey, or aggressive than the new bike. I went from an '07 to a '10. The newer bike feels more like a "race" bike to me. Aggressive feel, less effort to ride at race pace for me. And as far as the above statement "no fuel pump, efi, to fail/malfinction," that's interesting as if you meant to say that there is no possible way the electronics on non EFI bikes can fail.
I liked the '07, great bike, but I think in todays world the '10 is better. But, the 06-09 bikes are still plenty competitive and are in no way old by way of handling and performance. This is my personal experience.

• Family Man

Posted February 22, 2011 - 09:01 AM

I didnt say that the electronics on the older bikes cant fail. But the ten has more of them to fail. If the TPS fails your bike will still run. If the fuel pump fails it wont. The older bikes dont like tight corners, made apparant when you ride a bike that does.

• DPW

Posted February 22, 2011 - 10:39 AM

how much better is a new bike compared to a 5 year old one? Can they still be plenty competitive? Im just curious. I know that 06-09 there wasnt too many changes so how do they stack up to 10-11?

Charlie Mullins won the 2010 AMA National Enduro Championship on a '09 YZ450F. The older bikes are still competitive at local and national levels.

From what I've read the new '10- '11 still needs a pipe and still has issues cornering depending on who you talk with.

I'd ride a fresh/new '09 and a newer '10-11 and decide what fits you best and make$ the most sense.

• rdefonce

Posted February 23, 2011 - 09:41 AM

I didnt say that the electronics on the older bikes cant fail. But the ten has more of them to fail. If the TPS fails your bike will still run. If the fuel pump fails it wont. The older bikes dont like tight corners, made apparant when you ride a bike that does.

I recently sold my '08, now riding a '10.
The '10 seems to corner slightly better, but my '08 was a great turning bike, felt more like a 250 than a 450 in the corners (at least to me anyway.)

That said, put a fast rider on a 2003 yz450f steel-framed bike and he will beat the average rider on the 2010 yz450f. The RIDER is the biggest factor . . .

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.