Newbie Question - 2009 wr450f - AIS removal benefits / cons?

7 replies to this topic
  • BPH

Posted February 19, 2011 - 06:10 PM

I got the Dynojet kit and a GYTR fmf pipe for cheap on ebay. Do I need to get the removal / block off kit for the AIS???? Is the only con just "popping" on deceleration?:smirk:

• SXP

Posted February 19, 2011 - 07:58 PM

...and the extra weight, clutter, and slightly hindered access to the stuff around it.

• BPH

Posted February 19, 2011 - 08:56 PM

I have read that in California (where Im at) they check for these randomly at different riding spots..... My questions is, Is it possiable to just plug the hoses so it just doesn't function but passes visibly?? :smirk:

• resinlips

Posted February 19, 2011 - 09:27 PM

I have read that in California (where Im at) they check for these randomly at different riding spots..... My questions is, Is it possiable to just plug the hoses so it just doesn't function but passes visibly?? :smirk:

I removed the hose from the pump to the airbox, capped the airbox port and epoxied a cork in the pump hole. Where the metal tube connects near the exhaust port I made a solid gasket with no hole in it and re-installed it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BPH

Posted February 20, 2011 - 04:21 PM

That works for me! I don't mind how it looks! Or the .5 pounds it will save me (i'll just eat one less cheese burger!!!) Thanks!

• ASEMA

Posted February 21, 2011 - 09:59 AM

I got the Dynojet kit and a GYTR fmf pipe for cheap on ebay. Do I need to get the removal / block off kit for the AIS???? Is the only con just "popping" on deceleration?:smirk:

did you get the GYTR powerbomb headpipe or just the exhaust?

• Dube2

Posted February 21, 2011 - 03:38 PM

that's what I did. unless you remove the hoses and look inside, you'll never know the differance. BUT, you still need to install the AIS jets, needles, t-stop, etc in order for it to work. you can't just plug the hoses and ride. my AIS unit is just for looks now.

• the_smoo

Posted February 21, 2011 - 04:08 PM

I removed mine completely and left the stock jetting. Left everything else (throttle stop, snorkel) and it runs very well. Some say that the jets that come with the kit jet the bike way too rich. I guess you will need to work out the jetting for yourself...

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.