Dropped dirt onto piston from spark plug hole.

5 replies to this topic
  • skullcandy

Posted February 19, 2011 - 04:36 PM

Whats the best way to clean this dirt out. Should I turn the bike upside down and spray some wd40 and compressed air in there?

I dont wanna do in my 10 yz450.

• Gunner354

Posted February 19, 2011 - 04:58 PM

Remove the spark plug and turn the motor over so the exhaust valve is open and blow compressed air in the spark plug hole. Any dirt should be pushed into the exhaust. I would NOT spray any wd-40 or anything in the cylinder.

• skullcandy

Posted February 19, 2011 - 05:10 PM

I already tried turning it upside down when the piston was tdc and sprayed some tri flow lubricant and compressed air to try and flush it out. Would this dirt and lubricant have went into my intake now, or will all this blow out on start up. Will this lubricant hurt the top end in any way or the valves, or will it be fine once I do a complete oil change.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mxmaddman

Posted February 19, 2011 - 05:50 PM

I have a small hose that hooks to a shop vac. Maybe you can find one of them. Short of pulling the head off that's really the only way to suck it out. diluting it with oil will only make it stick more unless you can really flush it out good.

• ktmexc300

Posted February 19, 2011 - 09:42 PM

get a vaccum, a small piece of hose like the one on your gas cap, and some duct tape.

create a seal between the 2 hoses with the duct tape, stick that bad boy in your spark plug hole and let her rip.

Always give your motorcycle a thorough wash prior to taking anything apart.

See ya at the top of the hill,
Ryan

• Gunner354

Posted February 20, 2011 - 02:54 PM

get a vaccum, a small piece of hose like the one on your gas cap, and some duct tape.

create a seal between the 2 hoses with the duct tape, stick that bad boy in your spark plug hole and let her rip.

Always give your motorcycle a thorough wash prior to taking anything apart.

See ya at the top of the hill,
Ryan

Great idea also.
Reminds me of a time I was working on a drz400 and dropped a smal bolt. Couldn't find it anywhere. Thought there was no way it made it down the spark plug hole. Well when I tried to turn over it was locked up. Ya that damn bolt went into the cylinder. What are the odds? Ended up getting a small rod type of magnet that is used on home alarm systems and glued it inside of small tubing. After a couple of tries the bolt came out. Sure glad I didn't have to pull the head.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.