Torn up Motor, Now what?

16 replies to this topic
  • nater24

Posted February 19, 2011 - 04:30 PM

I have a 2009 YZF450. After about a year of owning the bike I started it one day and went around the block. On my way back I went to get on the throttle a little and it killed on my. At first I thought it ran out of gas cause I had the fuel off. I checked it and it was on. Then when I went to kick it over it would kick through at all. I figured it must of jumped time or someting. I tour into it and sure enough it had. I purchased a new timing chain and a new chain tensioner for fear that it had malfunctioned. Got it all back together and it ran great for another 3 months. Then I was riding one day and I hit a jump. when I came down and landed the engine killed and I heard a metal crinkling sound. The rear tire wont turn at all. I havent tour into it to see whats the matter but im sure i'll have to do a new top end including new valves and maybe even a new bottom end. I'm sooooo frustrated with this bike. I dont think i'll ever buy another yamaha again(4stroke). I've always riden honda and most all of my riding buddies ride hondas as well and noone has ever had this problem riding a honda. On the other hand a cousin and another buddy bought yamahas right about the same time I did and both of them had the same problem. I started reading some forums and found a lot of other stories just like mine regarding the yamaha 450. I changed the oil and oil filter every 2 rides. If you're thinking about buying a 450 I would not buy a yamaha unless $$ doesnt matter.

Anyways, at this point im trying to decided what to do with the bike. i defenetly want to fix it instead of just selling it as parts. Im wondering if I put enough after market parts on it if it would be reliable. Also, if i were to do a big bore kit which is the best one? I've read that if you do a big bore kit that you really should do a biger and better stroker. What should I do? Any suggestions?

• Gunner354

Posted February 19, 2011 - 04:42 PM

I have two 09's. One with under 100hrs and one just under 400hrs and both of them have been trouble free. Zero issues. No timing chain replacements, rings etc. The 400hr one is ridden by a fast b rider. I ride Yamaha for the reliability of the motors. Sorry to hear your problems. What I like to ask people with issues is what oil are you using and do you properly warm up the motor.

• nater24

Posted February 19, 2011 - 04:59 PM

I have always used yamalube and yes I make sure and warm the bike up before I start to ride it. I stuck pretty much with the manual on the maintance on this bike. The crazy thing is when I've any honda in the past I was way more laks on the maintance and never had a issue. Oh well, its water under the bridge at this point. What should I do at his point? a big bore? with an after market stroker or should I stick with keeping the bike a 450? I did not and nor do I ever plan to ride tracks(fyi)

• Gunner354

Posted February 19, 2011 - 05:18 PM

Don't know what to say other than sorry to hear of your problems. Hondas without problems? Every person I know or know of have had multiple valves replacements. Yamaha don't even need an adjustment.

• brentn

Posted February 19, 2011 - 05:19 PM

I have two 09's. One with under 100hrs and one just under 400hrs and both of them have been trouble free. Zero issues. No timing chain replacements, rings etc. The 400hr one is ridden by a fast b rider. I ride Yamaha for the reliability of the motors. Sorry to hear your problems. What I like to ask people with issues is what oil are you using and do you properly warm up the motor.

400 hours!!! :rant: :smirk:

• mikedabike

Posted February 19, 2011 - 05:47 PM

I think you should get rid of it and get a Honda. If the Yamaha isn't reliable enough for you in stock form throwing aftermarket parts is not going to help. You seem convinced Honda is the way to go why screw around with the Yamaha?

• KJK_JR

Posted February 19, 2011 - 05:50 PM

I think the first time it jumped timing you did some damages you weren't aware of and putting in a new timing chain didn't completely fix the problem. My 09 has been very reliable for me.

• grayracer513

Posted February 19, 2011 - 06:19 PM

A lot of useless speculation going on. Open it up and find out what's wrong, then decide.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ryan426

Posted February 19, 2011 - 06:28 PM

A lot of useless speculation going on. Open it up and find out what's wrong, then decide.

:smirk:+1

• nater24

Posted February 19, 2011 - 06:45 PM

yeah I know it. I just dont have the cash right now to fix it so I'm reluctant to just start terrin into yet it. Plus its freakin cold here in utah and with snow on the ground I wont be riddin for awhile anyways. It always surprises me the different outcomes people have heard of with the different bikes.

Thanks

• nater24

Posted February 19, 2011 - 06:49 PM

I guess my question was... if I were to rebuild it and if I was to put a big bore kit on it and a bigger better stroker etc... what are some good products to go with?

• crf450319

Posted February 20, 2011 - 09:44 AM

I've had 8 MX bikes, bought my first dirt bike when I was 20 - four Honda CR250r's, 3 crf450r's and now I'm on my first non-honda MX bike which is an '09 yz450f. I was hesitant to switch from Honda as I hadn't owned any other brand (in a motocross bike anyway) but am glad I did.

When I was looking to buy my last new bike, I didn't go with the Honda primarily because of the lack of reliability in the intake valve dept. Who wants to buy a new bike, put 60 to 80 hours on it then have the intake valve(s) crap out ? Not me ! Been there done that. Until Honda makes a significant change to their valves (and suspension for that matter), I'll stick with Yamaha.

Why Honda doesn't put intake valves in their bikes that last is beyond me - go to the CRF450r forum and search "valve" and see what you get.

I do feel bad for the issues you're having with your bike though, that sure does suck. In any case, it's probably time for you to make a switch either from that particular bike or the brand itself.

• locomike

Posted February 20, 2011 - 10:16 AM

I guess my question was... if I were to rebuild it and if I was to put a big bore kit on it and a bigger better stroker etc... what are some good products to go with?

If you are already concerned about reliability, big bore/stroker is probably not a good choice. The candle that burns twice as bright burns half as long.

• crf450319

Posted February 20, 2011 - 01:16 PM

I don't have any experience with big bore kits, but if reliability is compromised even more would parting the bike out be an option you'd consider ? I've found myself in similar situations, years ago while road-racing I cart-wheeled my 1 year old '97 GSX-R 600. I spent $3500 fixing a bike that I sold for $6000, I should have just parted that thing out.. now if E-bay had been around back then I would have spent a lot less $$ getting that bike back together.

Just an idea

• yamiman450

Posted February 20, 2011 - 04:48 PM

I,ve had my yz 450 for six years now and the valves are still in spec and i ride the crap out of it.250+ hours lets see you do that on a honda-if you can get it started:smirk:

Edited by yamiman450, February 20, 2011 - 06:00 PM.

• crf450319

Posted February 20, 2011 - 05:38 PM

I,ve had mine for six years now and the valves are still in spec and i ride the crap out of it.250+ hours lets see you do that on a honda-if you can get it started:smirk:

There are gys who say the same thing about Yamaha's (being junk) in the other forums, the OP could turn into someone like that... and I wouldn't exactly blame him.

• Family Man

Posted February 20, 2011 - 07:43 PM

I doesnt cost anything other than some time to open a broken bikes engine.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.