450 rear wheel bearings re&re

3 replies to this topic
  • in the bush

Posted February 19, 2011 - 04:16 PM

Does anyone have words of wisdom for removing the rear wheel bearings on my '07 WR450F?
The manual says to use a bearing puller tool. Seems this is the only tool I don't have available today.
My intention was to remove the circlip and use a brass drift to knock them out but there is no chance of purchase in there.
Any help is appreciated.

The reason I want to replace them is they are the originals and seem quite tight to turn by hand. There is no play in them so perhaps this is normal and I don't need to replace? Are the sealed bearings just tighter feeling than non sealed?

Thanks in advance and if there are other posts with the same question I apologize but I did do a search and came up empty.

• SXP

Posted February 19, 2011 - 08:07 PM

Does anyone have words of wisdom for removing the rear wheel bearings on my '07 WR450F?
The manual says to use a bearing puller tool. Seems this is the only tool I don't have available today.
My intention was to remove the circlip and use a brass drift to knock them out but there is no chance of purchase in there.
Any help is appreciated.

The reason I want to replace them is they are the originals and seem quite tight to turn by hand. There is no play in them so perhaps this is normal and I don't need to replace? Are the sealed bearings just tighter feeling than non sealed?

Thanks in advance and if there are other posts with the same question I apologize but I did do a search and came up empty.

I just replaced the wheel bearings on an 06 WR450 last night. I have a set of "blind hole bearing" pullers which allows you to pull the bearing out from the front rather than having to knock them out from the oposite side. But, you can knock them out with just a punch/drift from the back. The spacer in between the left and right bearings in the hub will move over just enough to let the drift bite on the inner race. Remember to remove the circlip from the brake side first. Of course, once you put start hammering the bearings are toast.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • resinlips

Posted February 19, 2011 - 09:04 PM

yep, force the spacer/sleve over a little then you can drive it home with a drift.
chill the new bearings in the freezer and heat the hub for an easy install.

• schrode

Posted February 19, 2011 - 09:17 PM

yep, force the spacer/sleve over a little then you can drive it home with a drift.
chill the new bearings in the freezer and heat the hub for an easy install.

this^^. although i usually just freeze the bearings and skip heating the hub. they go in with minimal persuasion this way. heating does make it easier i just get nervous using heat on them and try to avoid it if i can.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.