2008 YZ450 - Off-road Impressions

6 replies to this topic
  • cac

Posted February 19, 2011 - 01:01 PM

I'm a loyal Yamaha 4-stroke owner. I've had a 2000 WR450, 2001 YZ426, 2007 WR450 and now a lightly used 2008 YZ450. Took it out for my first ride a few days ago and came away thrilled with my decision to go back to a motocross machine.

Other than a skidplate and handlebar risers, the bike is in stock trim.

Suspension = Awesome. Way better than my 07 WR. Turns when and where you want it to and eats up the rocks and harsh bumps. I ended up going 3 clicks in on the rebound and 3 clicks out on the compression.

Power = Not mind blowing, but the more I rode, the more impressed I was. The low end is weak but adequate (I have a slip-on ordered), the mid and top end is more than sufficient for my riding style and weight - I'm 185 with gear.

What really impressed me is how well it climbed steep, rocky trails in 1st and 2nd gear. The gearing is stock and I was expecting the typical "motocross bike in the mountains" experience (harsh suspension, abrupt power and lots of stalling). Instead, I was able to stand up, lean forward and slowly pick my way through the rocks and ledges and up the mountain. It was almost too easy. What a great mountain horse!

I can't wait to ride some more.:smirk:

• Gunner354

Posted February 19, 2011 - 02:23 PM

Don't want to bust your bubble but the 08 needs a full system to maximize effect. An 06 cdi really helps with low end also. To top it off you may want to install a Rekluse Pro autoclutch.
I also believe that my 09 is by far the best dirtbike I have owned to date.

• temporarily_locked

Posted February 19, 2011 - 02:31 PM

i've had my 2008 yz250f for about a year and a half now. I ride moto and have gotten my suspension done, but my motor/exhaust is stock. I have read up and down that the stock pipe on that bike is garbage. If i went to a full system would the difference really be that noticeable? I don't ever feel like it's lacking power, but definitely notice how much harder i have to work then others on 450s to do the same things.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cac

Posted February 19, 2011 - 02:33 PM

What makes the difference between a full system and a slip-on muffler considering the 08 has a bigger stock head pipe than previous models?

• grice

Posted February 19, 2011 - 03:12 PM

I have a 08 as well. Great off road machine. My set up is full dr d pipe. 9oz gytr flywheel. and the rekluse exp core. I didn't like the z start pro makes it kinda feel like a mo ped. Its def not the fastest bike out there but the mellow power band makes it good in the burly stuff and or wet rooty rocks ect. great bike. I keep thinking about getting a new 010 but just donno if it would live up to my 08.

• Gunner354

Posted February 19, 2011 - 03:17 PM

I have a 08 as well. Great off road machine. My set up is full dr d pipe. 9oz gytr flywheel. and the rekluse exp core. I didn't like the z start pro makes it kinda feel like a mo ped. Its def not the fastest bike out there but the mellow power band makes it good in the burly stuff and or wet rooty rocks ect. great bike. I keep thinking about getting a new 010 but just donno if it would live up to my 08.

Explain the not liking the pro and moped feel

• grayracer513

Posted February 19, 2011 - 06:05 PM

What makes the difference between a full system and a slip-on muffler considering the 08 has a bigger stock head pipe than previous models?

That's exactly the problem. The '08 has an overly fat header as a effort to compensate for the restrictive exhaust. Once a reasonably free flowing muffler is in place, the '08-'09 headers are too big to provide optimum performance. For that reason, complete systems will outperform slip-ons, even though most slip-ons are an improvement over stock.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.