05 wr450 question

9 replies to this topic
  • davegod

Posted February 19, 2011 - 09:42 AM

hey wr people, i have an 05 wr 450 and i took the ais/smog off the bike. how many of you have done this? do you ever consider putting it back on?

• Summit

Posted February 19, 2011 - 02:34 PM

Yeah, day one ais/smog gone, grey wire, throttle stop, air box, jetted, piped. Never looked back, never had to re-jet since, bike rips, why on earth would anyone want to go backwards?

• Flagstaff

Posted February 19, 2011 - 08:08 PM

Agree with Summit, I have a 06.

• SXP

Posted February 19, 2011 - 08:19 PM

The arguement for putting it back on (at least in California) is the growing awareness among park rangers that 05+ bikes came equipped with it in order to make them meet the the smog/emission requirements to receive a Green Sticker. So, without it they could make your life difficult if they chose to.

• davegod

Posted February 19, 2011 - 08:37 PM

i admit that i'm one of those people looking to put it back on. hope to find someone who has it and doesn't want it and they will contact me.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • woods-rider

Posted February 19, 2011 - 11:44 PM

PM sent

Posted February 21, 2011 - 10:27 AM

hey wr people, i have an 05 wr 450 and i took the ais/smog off the bike. how many of you have done this? do you ever consider putting it back on?

do you know besides the restriction what is the performance effect of putting the AIS back?

I removed the AIS but at the same time i did all the WR mods (gray wire, throttle stop, snorkel removal etc.) so i couldn´t feel the perfomance effect of just removing the AIS.

• Flagstaff

Posted February 21, 2011 - 08:04 PM

If I remember right, no performance difference other than weight.

• Mauwick

Posted April 12, 2011 - 09:06 PM

We are gonna experiment with leaving it on and putting a single ball bearing int each of the two hoses. Jett it with the proper pilot jett and put in the YZF needle on the four notch, air box mods, replace the throttle stop and remove the grey wire, just like the AIS removal kit instructions tell you to do. The reason is, we can keep the AIS on there for looks but it will perform like we want it to. That way the "Pesky Ranger" wont hassle us. I have friends that did this on their CRF450x's and it worked great.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted April 13, 2011 - 07:42 AM

We all took it off, not because it runs better without it, but because it looks better.

Keep it on or leave it off, it will run the same.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.