How to Access the Needle Jet 06-09 YZ450F

13 replies to this topic
  • 4literranger485

Posted February 18, 2011 - 05:02 PM

Looking for tips/tricks or the best way you've found to easily access the needle jet in the carburetor on an 06-09 YZ450F (mine's an 07 specifically). I'm trying to get my jetting spot on and i'm looking to richen up the needle a bit, or possible swap it out for a richer taper. I took the tank off the other day and it looks like an extreme pain in the rear to get to that needle. Thanks in advance! :smirk:

I tried the search funtion, but couldn't find any concrete evidence :rant:

• JDLowrance

Posted February 18, 2011 - 06:01 PM

Take the engine head stays off, loosen carb at airbox and manifold clamps, disconnect TPS and rotate carb. It's tight but doable.

John

• 4literranger485

Posted February 18, 2011 - 07:44 PM

thanks john, damn you're all over the webs aren't ya! lol

I was hoping there was some magical way of doing it without removing that uper mount. oh well!

• Polar_Bus

Posted February 19, 2011 - 05:32 AM

If you have the spacial Yamaha tool it also makes the job easier. When you buy a YZF new it comes with a slick needle removal tool in the tool kit. It's a thin wire about 5" long that has a small rubber tube pressed on the end. The rubber tube grabs the end of the needle and pulls it out of the carb.

• 4literranger485

Posted February 19, 2011 - 07:54 AM

yeah, i've got that fancy tool with my bike. just need to get the top plate of the carb off first.

i forgot to mention that i'm also incredibly lazy LOL

• dvn

Posted February 19, 2011 - 08:59 AM

Did mine without removing the head stays with no problem. Use the allens with the ball ends on them. I forget what they're called. They let you get at the cap bolts at a slight angle.

• FZ1426

Posted February 19, 2011 - 09:03 AM

There's no easy way to do it. For me it's about not having to disconnect the throttle or hot start cables or crimping them in the process.

That means removing the subframe and the shock, then you can get the carb pulled back enough to do it. Definitely a PITA. Something you only want to have to do once.

I went with an NFLQ needle on my '09. My understanding is the '07 needle does not need to be changed since that year didn't have the "ice cream cone" muffler.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sro2004

Posted February 19, 2011 - 09:13 AM

If you pull the head stays off...might as well check your valve clearance...

• 4literranger485

Posted February 19, 2011 - 11:05 AM

Did mine without removing the head stays with no problem. Use the allens with the ball ends on them. I forget what they're called. They let you get at the cap bolts at a slight angle.

now that's good info! I know exactly what you're talking about, we use them on aircraft all the time.

• Polar_Bus

Posted February 19, 2011 - 03:40 PM

Use the allens with the ball ends on them. I forget what they're called.

They are called ball end hex wrenches :smirk:

• 4literranger485

Posted February 23, 2011 - 10:58 AM

I got some ball-end hex wrenches, and used that little wet-noodle-needle-removal tool that came with the bike. what looked like a serious PITA job turned out to be about 15 minutes! i only had to rotate the carb a couple degrees to get the rear-most hex screw out of the cap. thanks for the help guys!

Took the bike out for a quick spin in the desert, and it freaking RIIIIPPS, still might be a little lean though, it was kind of popping on decel.

168 main, stock needle - position 5, 45 pilot, 2 turns fuel screw. depending on how it rides this weekend i might try the .5 richer needle in the same position, but she feels damn good right now.

k&n filter and fmf/gytr can

• grayracer513

Posted February 23, 2011 - 12:03 PM

"Kind of" popping on decel is what you want, but in any case, it's the pilot that controls that, so you might try coming out a quarter on the fuel screw. Consider the temperature where you ride, also, as low temps and altitudes add up to a leaning influence that will go away when the weather warms up.

• 4literranger485

Posted February 23, 2011 - 06:33 PM

i was also thinking about that. I live in the mojave desert, about 2300ft ASL, it's freakin cold right now, below freezing at night, and 50's in the day. but it'll be 100+ in 2-3 months.

I'll mess with the fuel screw, i did have a 48 pilot in it, and it did run well, but it was extremely hard to hot-start if i tipped or stalled. i don't think they make anything between 45/48 pilot jets do they?

thanks again for the help gentlemen!

• grayracer513

Posted February 23, 2011 - 06:59 PM

i don't think they make anything between 45/48 pilot jets do they?

Nope.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.