Tires in the desert

13 replies to this topic
  • wags450

Posted February 18, 2011 - 02:50 PM

I do mainly desert riding lots of sand and gravel washes with those hard packed freeway type ridges with lots of loose stuff up top. I am eating up tires left and right now looking for suggestions on tires that hold up in these types of conditions.

Heard that the MX51 is good and so is the Desert IT

• Smokeslider

Posted February 18, 2011 - 03:15 PM

I challenge you to put on a set of MOTOZ and try to chew them up. These tires last much longer than anything I've seen.

• grayracer513

Posted February 18, 2011 - 04:27 PM

The Desert IT is tough, but the traction is nowhere near that of the MX51, and it weighs a LOT more. I've been very impressed with the 51's on mine. The Dunlop 952 also holds up well, though not quite as well as the MX51. The compromise is that the 952 does have very slightly better bite in dune sand. For the front, I actually prefer the 952 over the MX51 by a small margin.

• 4literranger485

Posted February 18, 2011 - 05:06 PM

I've ran the maxxis Desert IT's for a couple years now, i get really good wear out of them, but like gray said, the traction isn't phenomenal....it was just a trade-off i was willing to make for longevity.

• dirtdevil72

Posted February 18, 2011 - 06:36 PM

Definately the maxxis IT way over the MX51 last longer and stronger sidewall for less flats, but yes the traction is not as good as MX51.

• skoobeesnak

Posted February 21, 2011 - 03:50 PM

The Desert IT is tough, but the traction is nowhere near that of the MX51, and it weighs a LOT more. I've been very impressed with the 51's on mine. The Dunlop 952 also holds up well, though not quite as well as the MX51. The compromise is that the 952 does have very slightly better bite in dune sand. For the front, I actually prefer the 952 over the MX51 by a small margin.

Gray, is this an update to the earlier thread where you stated that you like the 51/51 combo best? Just curious as I absolutely hate the 745FA that was stock on my '09 and have loved the MX51 on the rear since I put it on last October.

• grayracer513

Posted February 21, 2011 - 04:16 PM

Sort of. I had not really spent much time with a 952 on the front until recently. The MX51 on the front clearly works better than most any other tire I've tried and wears well, but the 952 front has a bit of an edge in the very loose, dry, sandy stuff, or so it seems to me. But sand is like riding in a semi-fluid anyway. The wetter it is the more the MX51 feels better, and the drier and deeper the sand is, the more the 952 does. Odd, too, when you look at the tire; you wouldn't really think that.

Or, it could be all in my head...:smirk: Not a big difference, but it's there.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BlackT5

Posted February 21, 2011 - 05:14 PM

I agree with Gray, I had a 952 for a while then went MX51. I like the 952 better. The front end had more feedback. I think I will try the MX71 next. The local shop has had good feedback from Yammy guys.

• grayracer513

Posted February 21, 2011 - 05:19 PM

I want to make the point that I'm talking about desert tires here. On a groomed and watered track, I might feel differently.

• wags450

Posted February 22, 2011 - 08:38 AM

Sounds like the MX51 is the best choice for me then.

My buddy runs them on his KTM and I liked the way they hooked up at Stoddard yesterday. Thanks for the help

• BlackT5

Posted February 23, 2011 - 05:56 AM

I want to make the point that I'm talking about desert tires here. On a groomed and watered track, I might feel differently.

My opinion was also only desert related. I've never been on a groomed track.

• Matt Tiede

Posted February 23, 2011 - 04:12 PM

We run the MX51 around here a lot. The tire is a lot lighter than the desert IT and it grips much much better. The desert IT wears a little tiny bit better but I can't give up traction!

• Gunner354

Posted February 23, 2011 - 05:52 PM

Gray. Have you tried the mx31 on the front? We have been running the mx31 on the front and mx51 on the rear. Seems to be a good combo

• grayracer513

Posted February 23, 2011 - 06:57 PM

Gray. Have you tried the mx31 on the front? We have been running the mx31 on the front and mx51 on the rear. Seems to be a good combo

I did. In fact, at first I had 31's on both ends, but I was quickly disappointed in the 31 rear for desert use. So-so straight line traction, really not satisfactory cornering traction, especially under power, and rapid wear. That led me to the 31 front, 51 rear combo, which was OK, but the 31 just didn't hold in sand very well at all. Worked real good as soon as the sand got good and wet, but that's not the norm hereabouts. It also starting rounding knobs kind of quickly. The 51 was much better, but I like the 952 in front the best.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.