XR650L uncorking

10 replies to this topic
  • xrdryver

Posted July 29, 2003 - 11:52 AM

Hi everyone.
This is my first post here, I currently ride an 02 XR650R, but am writing this for a friend with a 650L. I have done an uncork to an L before, but lost my specifications.
I remember UNI filter, top off the air box, grind the exhaust welds(or was that on the XR400??). What is the recommended jetting for a 600ft from sea level area, and what size drill bit for the diaphram? 5/32"?? :)

Thanks everyone
Rob

• sonorawfo

Posted July 29, 2003 - 04:10 PM

Look at the Baja Designs site they have not been wrong with my XRL. :) :D

• MotoChris521

Posted August 02, 2003 - 03:06 AM

Yeah , 5/32" drill on the slide ,55 pilot (slow jet)160 main anddont forget to remove the restrictor tab on the mixture screw when you have the float bowl off .... oh and shim the needle .040" :)

• uw153

Posted August 02, 2003 - 04:44 AM

Hey Motochris, I have a question. I have the exact settup you just mentioned 160/55 but have the Dynojet needle and still have a little hesitation on the bottom end from 1/4 throttle to 3/8 throttle. It certainly helped when i went from the stock pilot to the 55 though. I am 2 turns out on the mixture screw at around 800 feet about sea level. Any thoughts as to why?? I need to check the plug yet but i want to run a little longer to get an accruate reading.

• powermonger525

Posted August 03, 2003 - 10:33 AM

I have a complete description of setting up a XR650L for long distance travel, including uncorking. As an afternote- the 165 main was good at sea level but way too rich up high (no surprise). A 155 main worked well from sea level to 16000 feet in Peru.
Go to www.sopgear.com and click on the South America link.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • enduromaniac

Posted August 05, 2003 - 07:32 AM

Drill the slide 5/32. I tried the Dynojet kit, and while it's a big improvement over stock, I got better power using the stock needle shimmed, and genuine Keihin jets. (55-158)

• MotoChris521

Posted August 08, 2003 - 03:23 AM

Hey uw153 ,what is your exhaust set-up(stock or ?)and what about the air box / filter ? I have the dyno jet kit also and they recommend not to modify the air box other than the filter.I also have a Pro-Circiut pipe.I ride at 1000-4000 ft usually.I've had no problems with hesitation. :)

• uw153

Posted August 08, 2003 - 06:11 PM

Exhaust is stock, airbox snorkel removed. Before I removed the snorkel it was a little lean on the bottem end but ripped on the top. Just by removing the snorkel I got a lot more oomph on the bottom end. I had the stumble off idle with the snorkel in also. Now I found out my stator is bad. Great, that's all I needed was more problems with this thing. Looks like my Suzuki will be getting quite a few more miles now.

• boilermaker

Posted August 08, 2003 - 08:23 PM

I HAVE A FMF POWER BOOM HEADER AND A FMF (Q) MUFFLER USED ON 3 RIDES FOR SALE WILL HELP YOU OUT PAYED 575.00 NEW WILL SALE FOR 375.00 Ggvjohnson@aol.com :)

• uw153

Posted August 09, 2003 - 07:18 AM

So far the XR doesn't run bad enough to justify $375.00 for power mods. YET. I have to replace the stator which will probably cost almost as much. So much for any extra cash I might have. BTW why are you getting rid of it??

• boilermaker

Posted August 09, 2003 - 10:16 AM

SOLD MY XR650 AND THE GUY WHO BOUGHT IT WENT WITH THE WHITE BROTHERS HEADER AND MUFFLER THAT I HAD ON IT. WHITE BROTHERS DIDNT PASS NOISE LEVEALS, SO I CARRIED THE FMF (Q) AND POWER BOMB HEADER JUST IN CASE.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.