mah deuce - military motorhome

12 replies to this topic
  • jesusgatos

Posted 17 February 2011 - 09:55 PM

I'm building a monstrosity of a motorhome based on a 6WD military truck called a deuce and a half (M35A2). Thought some of you might like to check it out. Plan is to pull a custom enclosed trailer behind it (full of my bikes and tools, etc.). Hoped to have it finished a while ago, but it's getting closer and closer to being finished...

• boomman

Posted 17 February 2011 - 09:58 PM

Pictures please.

• jesusgatos

Posted 17 February 2011 - 10:21 PM

There are a bunch in that build-thread on pirate4x4.com. Just click the link in my first post.

• boomman

Posted 18 February 2011 - 12:14 AM

Wow!! what a write up and what a project! I can't wait to see it completely done and I'm sure the online view will pale in comparison to seeing it in real life. You've got a great talent for metal fabing and mechanical MacGyvering. Can you tell us how much $ you have sunk into this project?

Edited by boomman, 18 February 2011 - 12:56 PM.

• Pitbull Equipment

Posted 18 February 2011 - 04:08 AM

All I can say is Wow.

• amadeus

Posted 18 February 2011 - 09:39 AM

What I find funny is that you start that thread (the pirate4x4 thread) and within the first couple posts you act as if you dont have the knowledge to match what you are dreaming up. Then you go on to amaze and inspire us with this incredible display of talent and hard work. Way to throw a guy off!:lol:

I mean this when I say it, that is an inspiring project that you are sharing. Great job!:rant:

....and I was complaining about doing my 100k mi servicing on my suburban this weekend.:smirk:

• llane

Posted 18 February 2011 - 12:26 PM

What I find funny is that you start that thread (the pirate4x4 thread) and within the first couple posts you act as if you dont have the knowledge to match what you are dreaming up. Then you go on to amaze and inspire us with this incredible display of talent and hard work. Way to throw a guy off!:p

I mean this when I say it, that is an inspiring project that you are sharing. Great job!:rant:

....and I was complaining about doing my 100k mi servicing on my suburban this weekend.:smirk:

for some reason maintenance always sucks but modding is awesome :lol:

• jesusgatos

Posted 18 February 2011 - 04:26 PM

Thanks for all the interest and the compliments. Feels great to get this kind of response to a project that I've been working so hard on.

boomman-
Haven't even begun to tally-up all the time and money I've sunk into this project so far. Time will end up being impossible to measure, but I've been keeping track of money spent and will share all that info after I've had a chance to compile everything. But I only spent $3,500 on the truck and you could expect to buy something similar for $2000-4000. Would guess a resourceful person could build something like this for a total investment of about $10,000 at a realistic bare minimum. Something closer to what I'm building would probably be closer $40,000-50,000 in parts, but that's just a wild guess at this point.

amadeus-
I've built a lot of off-road vehicles and I'm a designer by trade, but please believe me when I tell you that I'm only figuring this out as I go. Knew nothing at all about what I was first getting into this project.

llane-
I'm with you. Love designing and building things, but I'm not much of a mechanic and I hate doing general maintenance and repairs. That's half the reason why I'm over-building this thing to the extent that I am. Everything from the drivetrain to the oil/fuel/water-filration systems to this going to be as over-built as I can manage. Oh, and the other half of the reason is obviously just because it's fun.

• wlfdgs

Posted 18 February 2011 - 05:38 PM

Nice! There was one for sale here in Va a couple years back at an gov auction at the Petersburg military base that was a rolling Generals Quarters- that thing was fully decked out for giving a 3star a home away from home! Not sure what it finally went for but it was past 10k when I looked at the listing.

Been looking at getting one of those things to play with myself- the mid 60's Kiasers go here for under 1k when the local National Guard units sell them off.

• jesusgatos

Posted 18 February 2011 - 07:09 PM

Yeah, they surplus a lot more trucks back east, so prices are much lower than out here on the west coast.

• llane

Posted 18 February 2011 - 07:49 PM

Such a cool project man! i liked the multifuel motor, that will probably come in handy at some point.

• jesusgatos

Posted 18 February 2011 - 08:38 PM

Thanks. Planning on making the most of the multifuel. Wait till you see the fuel filter / processing setup I'm going to have onboard. It's pretty rad.

• QueasyRider

Posted 18 February 2011 - 09:36 PM

100dollarman.com
Has bobbed deuce and a halfs for $7,500.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

Register Close
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.