Twin Air filters

5 replies to this topic
  • ttr250dude

Posted February 17, 2011 - 07:41 PM

Twin Air air filters are slightly smaller than stock to allow more dead space in the airbox around the filter. What is the benefit of this?

• Mr. Neutron

Posted February 17, 2011 - 08:21 PM

After I bought mine, the first thing I noticed was more dead space in my wallet..... :rant:

Seriously, TwinAirs are decent filters. I've used 'em on several bikes I've owned previously, and always have been happy with 'em. But I'm not certain that they actually help the engine breath any better due to a little more room in the air box (especially after I over-oil it anyway..... :lol: :p ) But they are a little easier to get that sticky, oily sponge in position in the airbox.... :smirk:

Honestly, my bike makes more juice than I can use most of the time, so my "Butt Dynomometer" probably won't even notice it..... :p

JImmie

Edited by Diesel Goober, February 17, 2011 - 08:28 PM.
It just needed to be edited....

• tech24

Posted February 18, 2011 - 05:31 AM

I believe the theory is it can pull more air since there is more available air around the surface of the filter as opossed to pulling it from outside the air box. Perhaps its more for marketing and sounds good in an ad. Does it really work? I have no idea. I don't think twin airs are known for being a performance upgrade but they are high quality and sure do filter well.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted February 18, 2011 - 09:33 AM

If the OEM filter is small enough that it creates a significant restriction to air flow, a larger element will reduce that restriction, and should add "some" power. If it's not small enough to cause trouble, making it bigger won't do anything except keep it from clogging so fast. But in some conditions, that could be a performance boost, too.

You can do a fairly scientific test for this by rigging a slack tube manometer with the signal end of the tube just under the filter element. Be sure to have a good long tube for the water loop, as it takes 13.6 inches of water to equate to an inch of mercury. Watch the tube (and where you're going) as you roll open the throttle to full under a load. If there is more than a 12 in/H₂O depression under the filter, it can probably be improved enough by a larger element to show results on a dyno.

• ttr250dude

Posted February 18, 2011 - 04:13 PM

If the OEM filter is small enough that it creates a significant restriction to air flow, a larger element will reduce that restriction, and should add "some" power. If it's not small enough to cause trouble, making it bigger won't do anything except keep it from clogging so fast. But in some conditions, that could be a performance boost, too.

The Twin Air filters are slightly smaller than stock. I'm pretty sure when i got my bike it had the stock filter. It filled the air box pretty good and didnt leave much extra room.

Pics of my old filter compared to my Twin Air:
http://www.thumperta...5783&highlight=

• Steel Panther

Posted February 18, 2011 - 04:14 PM

the real benefit to the twinair filters is that they don't fall apart after 5 cleanings like my oems and uni's did.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.