wr450 question

6 replies to this topic
  • md69holla

Posted February 17, 2011 - 11:56 AM

Last year i picked up a 2004 wr450 with a supermoto conversion. And today i was cleaning it and noticed that two wires were not connected. Im not sure what its for or if it needs to be connected.

Posted Image

• ARin

Posted February 17, 2011 - 12:03 PM

where were the wires and what color are they?

• md69holla

Posted February 17, 2011 - 12:06 PM

its the throttle sensor asy or something. one wire comes off the carb. and i dont know where the other one goes to. they can be connected with one another though. I have a pic up can you not see it?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • KGSloan

Posted February 17, 2011 - 12:45 PM

it's the plug for the throttle position sensor (tps).

some people run with it unplugged, some with it plugged in. it is "supposed" to help smooth out the engine when running constant throttle settings from what I understand, and some have success with it and some don't. once removed the adjustments that it makes based on the throttle position are not there anymore.

ride it like is. see what you think.

plug it in and ride it, see if you notice any difference for better or worse.

there is also a procedure in the manual to set the adjustment of the sensor if it's ever been removed from the carb.

• ARin

Posted February 17, 2011 - 12:49 PM

its the throttle sensor asy or something. one wire comes off the carb. and i dont know where the other one goes to. they can be connected with one another though. I have a pic up can you not see it?

Im sorry, there are some domain blocks on my work computer...no pictures on this end.

• ARin

Posted February 17, 2011 - 12:51 PM

ALso, what kgsloan said is correct. People who do a lot of street riding usually prefer to have the TPS unplugged. The TPS changes the timing map according to the position of the throttle, and that sometimes makes the RPM's feel and sound weird while riding street...at certain throttle position, you can feel the timing change back and forth like it cant decide between the two.. It isnt noticeable really on dirt.

• md69holla

Posted February 17, 2011 - 01:20 PM

i do all street riding mostly and sometimes on grass. but it has not been removed from the carb.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.