06 yz450f keeps blowing fork seals

27 replies to this topic
  • humpness

Posted February 21, 2011 - 06:48 PM

whats the easiest way to replace the dust seal? take the whole thing apart?

• grayracer513

Posted February 21, 2011 - 07:31 PM

Yup, just like replacing the oil seal.

• brentn

Posted February 21, 2011 - 07:57 PM

What about those teflon leak proof seals that they were talking about in the suspension forum. They were a new item at some confrence show about dirt bikes, and one of the suspension shops bought a wack of them. Reports say that stiction is much lower than stock and that they don't leak, even after long run times and nasty mud.

Can't remember what they were called or where to get them.. Anyone remember??

• grayracer513

Posted February 22, 2011 - 07:37 AM

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • kawi_wowi

Posted February 23, 2011 - 09:16 AM

That falls under the heading of Bovine Scatology, or as the Marines in the field say, "BS".

I haul mine around with the forks compressed all the time, and have no such problem.

eh not complete "Bovine Scatology" i know people who have blown out seals from tying down and compressing to heavily on long trips. Now they may have been riden hard before and not changed in awhile but still its a contributing factor

• grayracer513

Posted February 23, 2011 - 09:46 AM

No, it's complete. You know people who had seals that were marginal or that had a minor leak already, and tying them down under pressure for several hours only makes the leak obvious. The pressure spikes the seal experiences in use are far greater than the steady pressure generated by compressed air when tying down. If you worry about the air pressure, you can vent the fork.

Besides, simple exposure to pressure will not "blow" a seal unless it is already severely weakened or not up to the task intended in the first place. What would need to happen is for the lip to be torn away from the seal at its root or for the lip to be flipped over, and both are exceptionally unlikely to happen.

But what I have seen is for a bike tied down with a "fork saver" to be bounced so that the fork saver is dropped, leaving the bike excessively loose, and ultimately coming free of its restraints.

• 06yamaha450f

Posted March 01, 2011 - 01:06 PM

I'm thinking about ordering the SKF fork seals. Anyone know a part number or know if they offer a complete kit for my 06 yz450f. And were to buy them from?

• grayracer513

Posted March 01, 2011 - 02:31 PM

Those come from MX-Tech.

Related Content

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.