Clean my camel back? For What ?

41 replies to this topic
  • Burnrider

Posted July 30, 2003 - 04:47 AM

I also fill it with hot water and 1/4 cup of bleach, then rinse with baking soda and water about every third or fourth ride.

Drew's got the answer. As little as a 10% bleach cleaning will keep your drink system clean. We use a lot of it for disinfection on the job. It is one of the cheapest and best disinfectants you can use- in small quantities.
It has been over 20 years since I drank from the streams. Any animal can carry giaridia. it is a nasty G.I. disease giving you fits of diarrhea. The only cure today is 'Flagil'. The cure is worse than the poison. If you must drink from a stream, at least carry the iodine and potassium tablets and follow directions for use.

• Fryboy

Posted July 30, 2003 - 04:57 AM

I use water in my CB. Prior to every ride I fill mine with warm/hot water and just a splash of bleech. Do the ego shimmy, then bleed out water through the mouth piece. Also make sure the mouthpiece gets nice and clean. Empty after a minute or so of bleeding. Then fill up again with clean water, bleed, then empty again. Next fill is crystal clean.

I always get crap from the Mrs. about getting typhoid. What the hell is typhoid? Will it make me faster? :)

Fryboy

• John_Lorenz

Posted July 30, 2003 - 05:08 AM

Dave

typhoid is a delecasy from the tywaneese

I think its made form the phoid bird

Or is it someting that ya smoke

I forget anyway its a good thing :)

• pymn2001

Posted July 30, 2003 - 10:28 AM

Best method i've found is to use pie gravy, dont so much as clean but is nice and filling especially the kidney chunks but these can be a bit of a suck :)

• davidmoeller

Posted July 30, 2003 - 02:51 PM

Typhoid will make you faster,it's race you right thur life to the end. :)

• dp400

Posted July 30, 2003 - 04:58 PM

I prefer to use Absolut Vodka :). Nothing can grow inside the CB and I am always happy when I ride - you guys that I ride with know - I'm always singing :D.

When I'm done for the day I just drain all the "water" (Vodka) and inflate it. I just blow into the hose until it is full of air - drain out any extra " water" and keep it full of air until I'm ready to drink - I mean ride again!! :D

DP :D :D

• markhughesj

Posted July 30, 2005 - 11:28 PM

I guess I'll give the bleach idea a try as I just realise I still had a litre in my 3 litre camelback bladder!

IT IS A LITTLE BIT SLIMY BUT NO CHUNKS YET?

MH 78

• 5valve

Posted July 31, 2005 - 01:42 AM

maybe buying new baggie now and then eliminates the problem
after all we are a consumer society so more we buy, lower the prices get
and I just adore the plastic taste of water from new CB-s
:D

• bg10459

Posted July 31, 2005 - 05:42 AM

My camelbak is maybe 8-10 years old. Never had anything in it except water. Anything else is asking for trouble. I clean it every so often with an oxygenated "No Rinse" cleaner you get from the home brew store. Cleanliness is next to godliness when brewing, so it's got to work for the camelbak. A little bleach will work too, just rinse it real well after.

• ETP

Posted July 31, 2005 - 10:56 AM

I've had my CB for 10 years and never had a problem. Only fill with water. After riding, I open it up, drain it, and leave it hanging open somewhere in the house to dry. Sometimes I stuff a paper towel in the large opening at the bottom to wick up the water at the bottom. No micro-critters growing so far.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • GixxerBitch

Posted July 31, 2005 - 12:39 PM

Baby bottle cleaner works a treat.

• ISBB

Posted August 01, 2005 - 04:33 PM

they have realllllly big baby bottle cleaners at the sports store for this purpose and a drying hanger thingy.. :D im on the hunt for a new camelback.. broke mine on a ride my mom bought me a new one then shortly afterwards it was stolen (still had the tags on it) so im looking to get one of those really big 3ltr ones.. :D

• hotrunnin-05wr450

Posted August 02, 2005 - 08:35 AM

jeez man there some people that dont give a f!@#. thats some nasty stuff right there, not cleaning out ur CB, especially after you run gatorade thru it, i work hard to keep mine clean, after every ride i walk my CB into the house and give it right to my girlfriend!! :D :D :D

• RoostRider

Posted August 02, 2005 - 09:12 AM

I have used Camel Backs for 10 years or so..... I have never cleaned one yet.... but I ONLY put city tap water in it. City tap water has chlorine in it which kills EVERYTHING.... as long as you keep it sealed NOTHING will grow in it, EVER..... When nothing is alive in it to start with, and it is kept sealed from air, nothing will grow in it.

I have left water in my CB over the winter and used that water the next season.... nothing growing in it!!! NOTHING.... although it does taste a little plasticy...

On the other hand, I have seen a CB left for a couple of days with sugary stuff in it (Gator Ade and the such).... and they have FUNK growing in them in nothing flat....

Perhaps none of you are familiar with hoarding survivalist techniques like I am, but the common mantra among us freaks for long term water storage is to use chlorinated water in a sealed container and change it once every couple of years, just to be on the safe side...

AGAIN- THIS DOESN'T WORK IF YOU USE ADDITIVES TO YOUR WATER!!! REGULAR CLEANING IS NECCESSARY IN THOSE CIRCUMSTANCES!!!

• 426Climber

Posted August 03, 2005 - 08:59 AM

I just went out and bought the camelback brush and line scrubber. Thing work great on my 100oz and my 70oz.

• tree77

Posted August 07, 2005 - 09:53 PM

Take a paper towel dowel, crush it the long way (if necessary) and push it into the fill hole. Take the bite-valve off the hose. This way the bladder keeps from collapsing and allows air to move through the hose and bladder. Keeps the funk factor way down.

-OSD

:D :D I do the same. Lightly ball-up a paper towel and put it in the bladder and then hang the bladder in garage. It is 100% dry in a few hours.

• gnarly_carl

Posted December 21, 2005 - 09:05 AM

I've had my CB for 10 years and never had a problem. Only fill with water. After riding, I open it up, drain it, and leave it hanging open somewhere in the house to dry. Sometimes I stuff a paper towel in the large opening at the bottom to wick up the water at the bottom. No micro-critters growing so far.

+1

3 years and still growing :applause:

• mtrablue

Posted December 21, 2005 - 09:20 AM

just put it in the freezer after every use.

• ARin

Posted December 21, 2005 - 10:07 AM

I just empty it out, and hang it up to dry. no detergents or anything.

• tmckeown

Posted December 21, 2005 - 10:42 AM

Hi,

There is actually a hanger that camelback makes which keeps it open when it dries up :applause:

Timo Mc

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.