tusk enduro lighting kit

8 replies to this topic
  • THE CYBERDEMON

Posted February 15, 2011 - 06:09 PM

Lets get some reviews on the tusk enduro lighting kit from those who have installed it. I am leaning towards this kit because it incorporates the stock headlight and tail lights plus I can get it for 180 with the hand guard blinkers on rocky mountain ATV, and as a poor college student cheap is nice. I know cheap usually means lower quality but I have been impressed with a few of the other tusk products I have had in the past.

• 2in2out

Posted February 15, 2011 - 09:41 PM

I had some initial frustrations with the Tusk kit, but those were because I'm inept at some things. Product quality is good, easy to install, and holds up well. Mine is no my 2nd bike. The low profile rear blinker housings can collect dust and water in them, but they are so cheap and easy to replace it's not a worry.

• miweber929

Posted February 16, 2011 - 03:21 AM

Do a search, been covered many times (including by me).

Overall great for the $$$$, but there are a few small drawbacks such as space it takes up on the bar and no clear wiring instructions for the headlight. not that you need to use the switch on the housing. As long as you watch the video and follow the instructions, you are fine.

Oh yeah, you need a YZ rear fender to mount their stuff correctly. I had one from the PO so it wasn't a huge thing, but be prepared.

Mike

• carlt828

Posted February 23, 2011 - 05:46 AM

Oh yeah, you need a YZ rear fender to mount their stuff correctly. I had one from the PO so it wasn't a huge thing, but be prepared.

Mike

Mike, what year is your wr and what year yz fender did you use? Since they went to the aluminum frame in '06 for the yz, I looked up part numbers for the '04 & '05 but they are different. It might not matter but I want to make sure before I order one. I have an '06 that I'm fixing to plate.

Did you wire in a relay to the kit (to turn off power when the bike's not on) or use some other type of switch? The wiring is no problem as I'm comfortable with that part of the install.

Another quick question, did you change out the regulator? A buddy just bought an '04 that was plated and had the regulator changed but the stator wasn't modified. I did that for him and it was pretty easy.

Thanks...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • OUTERLIMITS

Posted February 23, 2011 - 02:37 PM

If anyone is interested in saving some money, I have a virtually new kit that I'll part with. I installed the wiring harness, the bar controls, and the tail light and the rest was left in the box. At one time was going to make the bike street legal, but have since decided against it. Pm me if interested.

As to the kit, it's a pretty simple install and as mentioned above they have a great youtube video on an installation on an alum frame WR as well. Personally, for the money, I don't think you can beat this kit. It's pretty well thought out. As to bar clutter, any kit will take up some space there, but what is added that is unnecessary is a separate on/off switch for the kit. It's completely redundant. If I was keeping the kit, I was going to eliminate that extra bar component and tie it into the regular WR ignition.

• miweber929

Posted February 23, 2011 - 02:54 PM

Mike, what year is your wr and what year yz fender did you use? Since they went to the aluminum frame in '06 for the yz, I looked up part numbers for the '04 & '05 but they are different. It might not matter but I want to make sure before I order one. I have an '06 that I'm fixing to plate.

Did you wire in a relay to the kit (to turn off power when the bike's not on) or use some other type of switch? The wiring is no problem as I'm comfortable with that part of the install.

Another quick question, did you change out the regulator? A buddy just bought an '04 that was plated and had the regulator changed but the stator wasn't modified. I did that for him and it was pretty easy.

Thanks...

04 WR and an 03 YZ fender I think. Not 100% sure as the PO had bought it but any YZ with the aluminum subframe should work.

I did not do a relay, simply used the on/off switch that came with the kit. Works fine for what I needed, but remember to turn it off.

I didn;t change out the RR either, all stock. The kit uses stock headlights and LED signals and taillight so it draws literally no power.

Easy install if you follow the directions.

Mike

• carlt828

Posted February 23, 2011 - 07:00 PM

Brett, pm sent. :rant:

Mike, thanks a lot for the info. I figured which yz fender wouldn't be a big deal as long as it was close year model-wise, just thought I'd ask. Thanks again. :smirk:

• runir_86

Posted March 21, 2011 - 07:32 PM

I recently installed the tusk kit on my KTM it works fine but blows the fuse everytime I ride in the rain? has anyone that uses this kit ride in the rain ever and if so did they have the same problem or did it work fine?

• mweitz

Posted March 22, 2011 - 07:48 AM

I recently installed the tusk kit on my KTM it works fine but blows the fuse everytime I ride in the rain? has anyone that uses this kit ride in the rain ever and if so did they have the same problem or did it work fine?

We have a few of these kits installed on a few different bikes (mostly CRF230F and CRF250X) and no problems in rain, mud and water crossings.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.