Yz426 motor noise?

5 replies to this topic
  • NorCal426JAY

Posted February 15, 2011 - 04:18 PM

Hello, I have a couple questions I was hoping someone could help me with. My 2001 yz 426 started making a pretty good clacking noise the other day. It stays consistent at all rpms. No valve problems, runs very well. Just got loud all of a sudden. Took it apart and was wondering how noticeable rod play would be.
Any other ideas would be appreciated

• grayracer513

Posted February 15, 2011 - 09:54 PM

It depends on how much rod play there is, of course. The clearance is measured by rocking the rod side to side on the bearing (NOT sliding it back and forth) and measuring how much the top of the rod moves. The max is 2.0 mm.

You should also check the crankshaft drive gear nut.

• NorCal426JAY

Posted February 16, 2011 - 05:52 AM

Hi, thanks for the response. I have checked the crank gear nut. I took off the clutch side cover and checked everything in there. All was nice and tight.
I am going to get a dial indicator and check the rod play. My valves were off a little, do you think that would sound similar to a clacking sound?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted February 16, 2011 - 07:53 AM

If they were loose, yes, but that would be unusual. Check the condition of all three cam chain guides and the cam saddles for scoring.

• NorCal426JAY

Posted February 16, 2011 - 11:50 AM

Stoked! It turned out to just be loose valves. Put it back together, and the noise is gone. Back to normal. Thanks for the help grayracer.

• houndog426

Posted May 11, 2011 - 06:30 PM

how loud was it, mine is also making a noise, not sharp, just there, sounds like a DR350 any advice

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.