Which is the best MUD tire for 426?

8 replies to this topic
  • YZ426_Kicks

Posted April 05, 2001 - 03:59 AM

Hey Guys!

Thanks for reading my question.

In the area I ride in its quite muddy. The stock tires on the 426 I believe are the D739's and they are not the best tire for my conditions. They pack up and just dig down too quick! I really want to throw a set of mudders on the bike.

What is the difference between the Dunlop D752ST and the Dunlop D756's?

Is there any difference in the hardness of the rubber composition compared to the D739's?

How do mud tires react to intermediate or dry conditions?

Do mud tire treads where out quicker?

I realize mud riding is mostly experience, and I have had no problems in relaying my 4x4 experience to the bike. I just don't want to make a mistake if things should really get dry.

Any comments would be appreciated!

Thanks!

God Bless!

Randy
YZ426 Kicks!

If any of y'all are in the NorthEast, you know what this winter has done! MUD FEST!

Checked my trails last weekend and the mud is thick and deep in spots.

• motojunkie

Posted April 05, 2001 - 04:27 AM

I don't know a whole lot about mud, but I've heard that the 756 is a pretty good dry/hardpack tire. I ride in AZ, and I've had a lot of guys tell me that 756's are the best all around tire.

• Jason_in_KC

Posted April 05, 2001 - 04:32 AM

Another vote for the 756, I like you, had been running the stockers still. Had a hare scramble this weekend and laced up a new 756 an hour before the race. We had a couple of bogs, some wet crossings and a hard baked motocross track. In a 2hr race, it barely even reflected use. As far as performance, I was amazed! Places I rode with the stock 739's the day before had me slipping and sliding and not able to apply much throttle, now had me hammering the gas and tracking straight. I'm sold! Nuff said.

• Tim

Posted April 05, 2001 - 08:44 AM

I just put new tires on for the first ride of the season. I put on Bridgstone m59 in front and M78 (120 wide) in the rear. My buddy put a set of 756's on his 99' KX 250. We rode about 5-6 hours, then it started to rain. I can not complain one bit about the M78 hook up. Very positive in all conditions (the place we rode had sand, hard clay, mud, hills, logs, rocks, about everything you can think of...). My tire has very slight wear, where the 756 (which rode the exact same trails as I on a bike with less torque) had the knobs starting to round off. Hence my prediction that the M78 will last longer than the 756. I got the idea from another guy on the forum (name was forgotten), but thanks.
Rocky mountain had the M78 rear 120/90-19 in stock for $62. About $20 cheaper than anyone else I called...

Hope this helps
Tim

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • motoman393

Posted April 05, 2001 - 01:35 PM

the 756 works awesome...but I prefer the 755 in the rear (it just turns better than the 756)! Also the 755 front is the BEST tire for almost everything...becasue it grips up great on hardpack and sand/mud!

Garrett

------------------
I get my kicks on a 2001' YZ426!
Friendswood, TX

• RAZOR

Posted April 05, 2001 - 10:08 PM

I ran an IRC M5B 120x80 at the Soboba Invitational Feb.25 in severely muddy conditions with steep hill climbs and sand washes thrown in. The M5B performed great; It cleared itself quickly, and hooked up great. I hope this helps.
RAZOR

• JBM

Posted April 06, 2001 - 07:33 AM

You may also want to check out the Maxxis Surcross. I've heard very good things about it, it lasts pretty good, and is excellent in mud and sand. I'm going to try one next. You can't beat the price either, you can get one from rockymountain for about $41.

• emcdan

Posted April 06, 2001 - 07:46 AM

I ride muddy hills of TN and KY. I've used many different tires but for years the 752 gives the best traction in muddy conditions. It cleans better also (a very important factor). I have the YZ and have an 18" Excel rim now, it tracks far better than a 19" in slippery areas. The only downside is that a mud tire has a much shorter life on a four-stroke.

• yzernie

Posted April 06, 2001 - 05:15 PM

I like the Dunlop 752 or the Bridgestone M70 for the softer/slippery stuff. The M70 wore VERY well on my YZ125 but I have not tried one on the 426. I'm sure the tire life will be shortened substantially on the big bike.

I have used the 752 on the 426 and found that it wears well too. In all fairness, I have heard that the Michelin soft terrain ture wears very well too.

I am actually suprised at how much longevity I have gotten out of tires on both my 400 and the new 426. The 4-strokes have less wheelspin which means longer tire life.

Enjoy, yzernie

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Should I buy this bike? help....... by Numsa Hul

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 10 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.