04 replaced rear rotor and pads, no brakes now

2 replies to this topic
  • 74dirtdown

Posted February 15, 2011 - 02:12 PM

My brakes were fine before I did anything to them (just had a bent rotor). Pulled the tired, replaced rotor and pads at the same time, put tire back on and don't have any brakes now. If I push the brake lever, I can see the piston come out and looks like it is pressing against the pads.

I have tried to pump the lever, but still no brakes. Is there something I am missing or something I should look at.

Keep in mind I have no experience with the brakes except for what I have done so far.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • crooks420

Posted February 15, 2011 - 07:01 PM

It is likely that the pads need to "bed" into the rotor. I have had this issue with new pads installed with an old rotor.

• MANIAC998

Posted February 16, 2011 - 04:34 AM

Or you might need to bleed them. Personally, if I went to all of the trouble replacing the rotor and pads, I'd replace the fluid too. It's real easy and you'll end up with brakes that are super strong and will last a long time without fading. Just soak up as much of the fluid out of the reservoir as you can with a paper towel, pour in some fresh brake fluid, and pump the rear brake pedal a few times then hold it in the down position. Then, on the rear caliper there's a small banjo bleeder that needs to be cracked open a 1/4 turn. This will let some air/fluid out and the brake pedal will move slightly. Tighten the banjo bolt before letting up on the brake pedal, and repeat those steps over and over again until the fresh brake fluid comes out and there is no air coming out with it. Then clean up your mess, and you've got yourself some brakes that are gonna last. Maniac

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.