New 3.5 gal tank for the 2010+ YZ450F

13 replies to this topic
  • OUTERLIMITS

Posted February 15, 2011 - 11:17 AM

Just came across this. It looks like it kind of overflows the boundaries of the stock tank, but if you need the capacity (desert/Baja), there you go!

Clarke 3.5 gallon
Posted Image

• tech24

Posted February 15, 2011 - 11:19 AM

sure is an ugly unit but I suppose you gotta do what you gotta do if you need that kind of fuel capacity

• Jeepentj

Posted February 15, 2011 - 11:44 AM

My god that's ugly.

• SEOINAGE

Posted February 16, 2011 - 08:13 AM

granted it is a gallon larger than the ims, I would much rather get the ims. I think it is cool this stuff is being made available. up close ya it sticks out pretty bad, would like to see a full picture to see if it really is. The IMS tank actually looks really nice, and for most people the extra gallong is all they will need to get through the longer day. But if you really need capacity, I would think handling wise this would be better than an ims plus a front plate mounted tank.

edit: If it was me I would design it so the seat is one unit with the tank and holds fuel, but then you would have major sloshing, or not depending on how you did it, plus you could squeeze out a bit more capacity without taking up space and expanding outward and over things.

• tech24

Posted February 16, 2011 - 08:48 AM

granted it is a gallon larger than the ims, I would much rather get the ims. I think it is cool this stuff is being made available. up close ya it sticks out pretty bad, would like to see a full picture to see if it really is. The IMS tank actually looks really nice, and for most people the extra gallong is all they will need to get through the longer day. But if you really need capacity, I would think handling wise this would be better than an ims plus a front plate mounted tank.

edit: If it was me I would design it so the seat is one unit with the tank and holds fuel, but then you would have major sloshing, or not depending on how you did it, plus you could squeeze out a bit more capacity without taking up space and expanding outward and over things.

not to mention some racing series will not allow auxilliary fuel tanks so this would be best bet

• Family Man

Posted February 16, 2011 - 10:48 PM

Looks like corporal punishment for your privates. ouch....

• wags450

Posted February 17, 2011 - 12:29 PM

That thing looks like a giant top heavy mess. My buddy has a tank like that on his DRZ sits up high over the bars. Pretty sure it steers like chit man. but if you need it you need it

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • OUTERLIMITS

Posted February 17, 2011 - 01:37 PM

To keep it all in proper perspective, if you're running this tank, you are likely not riding mx. Surely the bike does not steer like it would with the tiny stock tank, but for desert it would probably be just fine.

I like the look of the IMS tank better, but 2.4 gallons does not cut it on any of my rides in the desert. This is just another option if you needed it.

Does anyone remember what it was like to ride a KX500 in the desert? It wasn't exactly a looker either. It you want to talk about nut busters, this was the king.
http://www.clarkemfg...mages/11412_MED

• grunkthump

Posted February 18, 2011 - 07:28 AM

I would get the IMS ANY day over that clarke....ugggggghhhh

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted May 25, 2011 - 04:12 PM

Just curious if there have been any brave souls to purchase this tank.

• Yamiryder

Posted May 25, 2011 - 06:06 PM

Looks cute:thumbsup:

• SEOINAGE

Posted May 26, 2011 - 05:24 AM

I ended up getting the IMS and think it is great, not any wider either, and I think it looks good on the bike.

• BRAAPist

Posted May 26, 2011 - 06:43 AM

It sure is butt ugly but I think it's cool that it's available. Ya know, just in case you ever need that kind of range.

• sutton705

Posted May 26, 2011 - 04:06 PM

It may be pretty ugly but i would rather look funny then be pushing! lol

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.