First Dirtbike EVER...2003 WR450

16 replies to this topic
  • supastipa

Posted February 14, 2011 - 09:45 PM

Been lurking on here for a while, finally pulled the trigger on a 2003. Bought it from some dude who had more toys than time, looked to be it pretty good condition. Found the service manual and tore into it, grey wire mod done, throttle stop removed, snorkel removed, new (big dude) spring installed. Bought all the protective gear and took it out last weekend. Holy crap this thing moves!!! Took me a few hours to get comfortable on it.

So first newby question...Read all about the starter/woodruff key issue on the 2003 model and it looks like mine has the flat cover indicating the upgrade hasn't been done. However, I read somewhere on here that Yamaha did something after a certain VIN number which mine is past. Do I need to worry about it still or am I good?

Posted Image

Posted Image

• bg10459

Posted February 15, 2011 - 11:17 AM

Hmmm. Could still happen, but after 7 seasons, I doubt it will. Though it doesn't look like there are too many hours on that bike. Mine never had a problem, but I did the upgrade anyway. BTW, Yamahas fix wasn't really a fix, more like a cheap band-aid. The real fix came in '04 with the upgraded parts. Then a backfire while e-starting CAN'T shear the key.

• Dodging_roost

Posted February 15, 2011 - 11:20 AM

Where in Utah are you.... Riding this weekend was EPIC looks like from the picture like 5 mile.

Thanks and congrats on the pretty bike
Scott

• davidl9999

Posted February 15, 2011 - 11:28 AM

If you still have the flat cover, you don't have the "definitive" fix.
Get these parts, install them, know the key won't fail miles from camp, sleep well:
http://www.thumperta...556&postcount=3

• 1trackmind

Posted February 15, 2011 - 11:34 AM

Mine didn't have problems either, but did the upgrade just to be safe.

That is a clean looking bike. I wish mine still looked like that.... Nah, that would mean it hasn't been ridden.

• KGSloan

Posted February 15, 2011 - 12:45 PM

nice looking ride :smirk:

i just piced up a 2004 wr450f for my very first dirtbike in november. it's been a BLAST! I just wish I hadn't waited this long to get on something other than pavement.

enjoy

• YamaLink

Posted February 15, 2011 - 02:18 PM

My buddy just purchased an 03. He loves it! Put in a new pilot to make it run better down low and he's happy as a pig in, um, whatever the saying is. Congrats on your new bike!

• supastipa

Posted February 15, 2011 - 05:34 PM

Where in Utah are you.... Riding this weekend was EPIC looks like from the picture like 5 mile.

Thanks and congrats on the pretty bike
Scott

I'm in West Jordan. Thought about hitting fivemile but decided to head down by Utah Lake a few miles past Saratoga springs. That was a mistake, there were what seemed like a thousand people shooting around there, thought I was gonna get capped. Next warm weekend I definitely gonna hit fivemile. Here are a few pics from the "still frozen" lake. Gotta love Utah - Hit the ski slopes on Friday and ride the desert on Saturday.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dodging_roost

Posted February 16, 2011 - 07:44 AM

Was out at knolls Saturday it ROCKED!!!! There is a group on FB called "Utah dirt bikers (ready to ride)" that I met up with and was a blast. I am not far from you in Kearns hit me up I love to ride any where.

Thanks
Scott

Edited by Dodging_roost, February 16, 2011 - 08:05 AM.

• byggd

Posted February 16, 2011 - 12:01 PM

throttle stop removed

I have read this is not a good idea. Some have reported the throttle can stick at WOT if the screw is removed completely.

• supastipa

Posted February 16, 2011 - 06:27 PM

I have read this is not a good idea. Some have reported the throttle can stick at WOT if the screw is removed completely.

Yea...read that too. Meant to say that I had cut it down to YZ specs. :smirk:

• ktmexc300

Posted February 19, 2011 - 11:33 PM

1st bike ever????

Welcome to the greatest form of release I know of.

• danfromnb

Posted February 20, 2011 - 04:00 PM

Congrats on the bike, I picked up an 04 last summer as my first serious bike, previous to that I had an XR 200.

A couple more things for you to do to your bike:

Search the forum here for info about the decompressor plug, it's a plastic plug in the front of your cylinder. It blows your oil out onto your header and rad, leaving you stranded at best. Replace it with either an 18mm frost plug (which I did) or I see TT just released a billet aluminum plug for it (https://shop.thumper...tCode=TR_376507)

Also pick up a bit of vacuum line and a couple tees. Follow the upper vent tubes on either side of the carb and you will see they cross and go down to where are the other lines meet at the front of the swingarm. Cut these two lines near the top of the carb somewhere and put in the tees, run an extra line off each tee and tuck them into the airbox. If not you'll be wondering why your bike stalls whenever you try to cross more than 12" of water but starts right up after you push it back to dry land. All the vents get blocked at the same time.

Keep the oil changed, the air filter clean, lube your chain, and smile every time you straddle that seat.

• X-Racer

Posted February 21, 2011 - 07:24 PM

Having just got one that an acquaintance had and was trying to sell (cheap), after dialing it in and riding it, all I am going to say is THAT is one hell of a first bike.

What's next a Moto GP ride ? :smirk:

• 802wrRider

Posted February 22, 2011 - 01:07 PM

not going to lie, an 03 wr450 was my first ever bike to. i dont know why i didnt get into riding sooner. man what a blast. and i am very glad that i went with a 450 and not a 250. i took a budy of mines 250 for a rip at the end of last year and after riding my 450 for a summer, his bike was a complete turd. made me very happy with the decision i made!

• supastipa

Posted February 22, 2011 - 09:43 PM

not going to lie, an 03 wr450 was my first ever bike to. i dont know why i didnt get into riding sooner. man what a blast. and i am very glad that i went with a 450 and not a 250. i took a budy of mines 250 for a rip at the end of last year and after riding my 450 for a summer, his bike was a complete turd. made me very happy with the decision i made!

That's good to hear. No going back now!!!! Damn the snow....I'm totally ready to get out there again. :smirk:

• Dodging_roost

Posted February 23, 2011 - 07:34 AM

That's good to hear. No going back now!!!! Damn the snow....I'm totally ready to get out there again. :smirk:

Head south.... Invest in a paddle tire.... hit Little Sahara even if there is snow it's fun just a little cold.

Doubt I will go this weekend but pretty sure I will next.

Thanks
Scott

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.