08 YZ450F Slip on or Full??

11 replies to this topic
  • wags450

Posted February 14, 2011 - 01:51 PM

I have an 08 YZ450F and I am looking to pick up a new exhaust for it and get rid of the stock one.

The question is with the bike coming with a titanium head pipe should I get a slip on and keep the stock head or should I go full system? Do you gain or lose anything by getting a system with a SS header?

Also looking at the DRD Slip on/full system or a Big Gun Slip on.

Any advice or experience on this topic is helpful. Thanks in advance

• crf450319

Posted February 14, 2011 - 05:13 PM

The only thing you'll lose (well gain actually) by running a stainless header is the added weight. I fall down too much and it didn't take very long for me to figure out that I don't like titanium anything when it comes to exhaust systems.

If I was in the market for an exhaust system and I'd narrowed it down to the Dr.D and Big Gun, I think I'd go with the Dr.D - if Dr.D makes a full system that doesn't have the "low boy" header. I had one of those, fell down (big surprise) and bent the low boy header at the exhaust port and where the header meets the mid-pipe.

Stainless is cheaper, and is wwwaaaaaayyyyyyyyy more durable.

Just my $0.02

:smirk:

Edited by crf450319, February 14, 2011 - 05:29 PM.

• slagburn666

Posted February 14, 2011 - 06:12 PM

I have an 08 yz 450f with the big gun system. I can tell you for a fact, the mid pipe flange.is way different than the stock. I was required to use their headpipe as well. their system does not use the center gasket or clamp where the midpipe meets the headpipe. the diamater between the stock head pipe is different as well. it is a slip over design like a 2 stroke. as for performance, I noticed a huge increase in the bottom end. this system made my bike feel much more snappy. I did rejet as well though. depending on the type of riding you do, I have found the ss is more durable as far as denting.

• wags450

Posted February 14, 2011 - 06:42 PM

I have an 08 yz 450f with the big gun system. I can tell you for a fact, the mid pipe flange.is way different than the stock. I was required to use their headpipe as well. their system does not use the center gasket or clamp where the midpipe meets the headpipe. the diamater between the stock head pipe is different as well. it is a slip over design like a 2 stroke. as for performance, I noticed a huge increase in the bottom end. this system made my bike feel much more snappy. I did rejet as well though. depending on the type of riding you do, I have found the ss is more durable as far as denting.

Thanks for the advice. Do you have any pictures of it?

• slagburn666

Posted February 14, 2011 - 07:32 PM

Ill try take a few tomorrow. I came up too short on a jump on my quad, flipped it, broke my rt ankle and pulled the ligaments in my left:bonk::rant::smirk:. must have p-d someone off up there?? 2 for the price of 1:lol:. gotta hobble out to the garage to take a few pics.

• slagburn666

Posted February 15, 2011 - 12:51 AM

most people at 3 am are asleep, im in the garage taking pictures.:smirk: please excuse the bit of a mess. I have a few projects going on that are on delay because of my injuries.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • wags450

Posted February 15, 2011 - 08:50 AM

most people at 3 am are asleep, im in the garage taking pictures.:smirk: please excuse the bit of a mess. I have a few projects going on that are on delay because of my injuries.

Sorry to hear about being broken thats a bummer.

Thanks for the pics it looks good on there. Gave me a better idea of how they look all the ad pictures look like crap and you cant see any detail of how it fits.

Good luck on healing up

• Mr. Neutron

Posted February 15, 2011 - 10:19 AM

Yeah, take it easy & get healed up, slagburn!!!

depending on the type of riding you do, I have found the ss is more durable as far as denting.

I'd think it depends more on the type of crashing ya do..... :rant: (ask if ya need advice on this subject; I've become somewhat of a reluctant expert on it.... :smirk: )

Jimmie

• wags450

Posted February 15, 2011 - 10:25 AM

So Ive decided on a full system

The real question is what to get. I have narrowed it down to

DRD SS/AL
Big Gun EVO R
Yosh RS2 SS

All full systems all roughly same price. Just wondering if anyone has $.02 to through in. i know its mainly opinion but looking for some good advice before I drop $500

• wags450

Posted February 15, 2011 - 10:55 AM

Also curious to hear anything about the two brothers m7 system

• slagburn666

Posted February 15, 2011 - 11:18 AM

So Ive decided on a full system

The real question is what to get. I have narrowed it down to

DRD SS/AL
Big Gun EVO R
Yosh RS2 SS

All full systems all roughly same price. Just wondering if anyone has $.02 to through in. i know its mainly opinion but looking for some good advice before I drop $500

That is the problem, everyone does have their own opinion. One friend says fmf, another 1 said yoshi, for me. now for the curve ball, sorry!! when I was shopping for my exhaust I had DRD on my mind. I have had real good results with drd on my sons ttr 125 and my daughters ttr90. The pep that it gave to those 2 bikes had me sold!! I could'nt afford after buying the yz, though. Shopping on ebay brought me to the big gun system. Found it for about 300 from a close out supplier on ebay. of course, it came in damaged as hell!! Even better, the ebayer would not return my multiple emails!! For grins and berries, I contacted big gun and explained. They immediatly issued a return authorization, and had ups pick up 2 days later. It took about a month, but you see the pics, They gave me a brand new system at no cost!!! Big gun's customer service is what has sold me!! Sounds nasty too!! Whatever you decide, I wish you luck my friend!!

• slagburn666

Posted February 15, 2011 - 11:25 AM

Yeah, take it easy & get healed up, slagburn!!!

I'd think it depends more on the type of crashing ya do..... :rant: (ask if ya need advice on this subject; I've become somewhat of a reluctant expert on it.... :smirk: )

Jimmie

Thanks bro, im trying. We all crash. think the real trick is how fast we get back on!!!! lol I cant wait to get back on my pig!! as long as the snow starts to melt here , should not be more than a month. If not, I got a debt to settle with that quad!!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.