Skid plates for desert racing

23 replies to this topic
  • DTM Industries

Posted February 12, 2011 - 07:18 PM

What do most pepole recomend for skid plate for desert racing Aluminum or carbonfiber ?

• grayracer513

Posted February 13, 2011 - 09:32 AM

I use an aluminum Devol, but if I had been able to afford it at the time, I might well have bought the full coverage Lightspeed plate.

With aluminum, you can usually see what you get, and get what you see. The only surprise is normally how well it does or doesn't fit. Carbon fiber comes in all different quality levels, and it's hard to know by looking what's tough and durable and what isn't. Lightspeed is.

• DTM Industries

Posted February 14, 2011 - 07:55 AM

I checked out the LIGHTspeed racing skid plates & can see what lookes like a good product . I used Devol guard,skid & sheilds on my last race bike & liked the way they fit up ( only got one crack on the skid plate - i fixed it & was fine after that ),i wanted to try somthing diffrent on my new race bike. Have you heard good things about BRP aluminum skid plates or the MOOSE racing Aluminum or carbon fiber/kevlar ? Doesnt ENDURO enginering make there stuff ?

• grayracer513

Posted February 14, 2011 - 08:11 AM

A number of different people make stuff for Moose. Everything they sell is made by someone else. I think I've heard negatives regarding their CF, though. Another two you should look at is Carbon Fiber Works and Scorpion. The latter makes a really good full coverage aluminum plate.

• schrode

Posted February 14, 2011 - 08:16 AM

aluminum

• foxracr767

Posted February 14, 2011 - 09:47 AM

I have used the moose one on my 2007 yz450 and one big issue was that it was at least half a inch lower than the frame. Causing to rub right threw most of the carbon fairly quickly. I though the thicker carbon would have been stronger than the lightspeed but when hitting rocks with the "wings" the carbon would flex and eventually cracked all the way through. Now on my 2010 i have the Works connection aluminum skid plate which so far has been great.

• 4literranger485

Posted February 16, 2011 - 07:17 PM

i ran a ricochet offroad skidplate on my yz426 for years, banging/rocking the bike on rocks never bent it

ricochet offroad on my 2007 now, only $89 on the interwebs too! I just figured that carbon wouldn't look good for long with all the abuse of the desert.

• BlackT5

Posted February 16, 2011 - 08:05 PM

My Lightspeed is great. Its the one that just covers ther frame rails. The full coverage one looks like a carbon diaper.

• 2009YZ450F

Posted February 16, 2011 - 09:27 PM

my Lightspeed skid is pretty nice, i got the waterpump cover for mine too rather than getting the full coverage skid, just looks a little cleaner imo

• dirtdevil72

Posted February 17, 2011 - 05:19 AM

Dont waste your time with a noisy metal one, and the carbon fiber ones break on a hard crash, a plastic (HYDE RACING) skid plate has lasted longer than any skid plate I have ever used.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mikesbaron

Posted February 17, 2011 - 06:41 AM

Yeah I've raced with the plastic oem one on my XRR and it's great. Lightweight and quiet and protects! Why bolt on a heavy, loud aluminum one?

• stealman

Posted February 17, 2011 - 07:03 AM

I have a Hyde on my 08 and recommend it.

• schrode

Posted February 17, 2011 - 09:17 AM

Yeah I've raced with the plastic oem one on my XRR and it's great. Lightweight and quiet and protects! Why bolt on a heavy, loud aluminum one?

the plastic stock ones break very easily for me. as a matter of fact the aluminum one on my bike currently is about to get replaced. it's all bashed to hell with a 3" crack in it eminating from the oil drain cutout. maybe i should get some finesse!

it weighs about a pound or 2, so i'm not sure where your concern about the weight comes from. maybe because you're already riding a pig so you don't care to ad more to it? loud? snug up the bolts, no sound coming from mine. you might try snugging up the hardware and using blue loctite.

• mikesbaron

Posted February 19, 2011 - 09:37 PM

Haha try about 4 lbs! and yeah if you can't avoid rocks you will end up with a crack in an aluminum skidplate, lol.

• schrode

Posted February 20, 2011 - 07:04 PM

Haha try about 4 lbs! and yeah if you can't avoid rocks you will end up with a crack in an aluminum skidplate, lol.

i just weighed mine. 3lbs. i guess we were both off a bit.

when you end up in boulder gardens sometimes hitting rocks is an unavoidable consequence.

• ChillyKTM

Posted February 21, 2011 - 05:39 AM

Had an eline full coverage carbon on my 08 yz450 and rode it , slammed it , crashed it in the mountains and desert .....BEST thing i ever bought , only thing was cleaning it (space between ) , so i drilled alot of nickel sized holes in it to drain mud etc as i powerwashed bike.
guna get the lightspeed for my new bike just cannot decide if i ned full coverage because i dont ride that kind of terrain any longer

• mikesbaron

Posted February 23, 2011 - 07:40 AM

I'm sure that 3lbs weight is different for differnet bikes. What is your skidplate made for and what does it look like?

• schrode

Posted February 23, 2011 - 08:53 AM

Posted Image

• pembell

Posted February 23, 2011 - 10:43 AM

Posted Image

That's one of them snowshovels, right?
:smirk:

• 4literranger485

Posted February 23, 2011 - 06:38 PM

Dont waste your time with a noisy metal one, and the carbon fiber ones break on a hard crash, a plastic (HYDE RACING) skid plate has lasted longer than any skid plate I have ever used.

the skidplate itself doesn't make noise. you just get more engine noise reflected back in your direction that would otherwise go unnoticed.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.