Gear selection for riding baja ?

2 replies to this topic
  • BAJAB

Posted July 28, 2003 - 06:52 AM

I ride a yz426 and have recently started doing some baja riding. Many of you have given me some great info either directly or indirectly, and I really appreciate it. Obviously, my bike isn't setup perfectly to ride baja. The bike is mostly stock, and short of getting a 650, what can I do to my 426 to make it more baja friendly? I'm especially interested in gearing, tire selection, and exhaust. Thanks...Brian

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • irondude

Posted July 28, 2003 - 11:46 AM

Im a Red Rider with a bit of Orange envy-so not sure of all the details for Blue, but some general guidlines for any mid-size bike going to baja would be: Go down 2 teeth (from stock) on your rear sprocket--get some tuff off road tires: Dunlop 606, 739AT, Michelin S12,Desert or Baja, Pirelli MT 18, 21, Maxxis IT (or wait for their new desert tire to come out)....
Get some 8 oz flywheel weights...rewind your stator for lights, get a steering dampner, not sure about the best pipes for your bike.
Tires (Adobe, Asphalt or Sand?), flywheel weights (Ziptye.com), dampner (RTT), and sprocket (Ironman) will make a big difference.
Not a lot of 85 foot triples around Laguna Hanson, so go super soft on the suspension...definately click the compression clickers back 3-5 clicks and rebound 2-3 as well-front and rear. Might want to lighten the weight of the fork oil to 3 or 5 weight, and add 5-10 mm as well.
Add at least 3 gallons/100 miles of fuel tank, and then get some lights (rickystator.com, bajadesigns.com), and you have a real nice Baja bike. This would apply to just about any 250, or 400+cc bike.
Take a 1 litre Camelback with some tools, spares, map, matches, flashlight, flat repair, and you are off to Mike's with the best of em... :)

• BAJAB

Posted July 29, 2003 - 05:58 AM

Thanks Irondude....I'm going to do some mods right away. Can't wait to get back to baja! Brian

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.