ultimate chest protector

11 replies to this topic
  • kev94mx

Posted April 03, 2001 - 05:36 PM

my old chest protector was cutting it. I have broke my collar bone twiced and needed more protection. I started looking and found one from a hocky sports outlet. I wasnt sure how it would work or look but its great. It is just a little bigger than the thor but its not as big as football pads. It has 3 times the protection than any motocross chest protector. It feels great on to. The best thing it was on sale for $60!!!! Let me now if any one else is interested

• enmerdeur

Posted April 03, 2001 - 07:17 PM

What brand is it? Any way to post a pic? Do they have a web site?

------------------
SHN
99'YZ-400 (Mine)
00' TT-R 125 (Hers)
91' KX-125 (Son #1)
93' CR-80 (Just sold it. Looking for another TTR125 for Son #2)
99' PW-80 (Son #3)

• Boit

Posted April 03, 2001 - 10:45 PM

The interesting thing about snapped collarbones is that it's usually caused by the edge of the helmet being slammed into the bone when the head whipped around upon a sudden impact. The chest/back protector is just that....protects the chest/ribs/back to a degree.

I mistakenly ordered a too small HRP Flak Jak and am looking in the market for a better design. Count me in.

• Tim

Posted April 04, 2001 - 04:46 AM

That sounds like a great idea. I have always thought of chest protecters as a way to eliminate the small bumps and bruises from small crashes and roost. I never would expect it to protect anything from a large crash. Let us know how it works!! Will this pad system be able to withstand water and mud?
Thanks
Tim

• Jason_in_KC

Posted April 04, 2001 - 06:16 AM

I have a friend that has used hockey equipment for a few years, he had a nasty back and shoulder injury. He still uses the front/back of a regular chest protector to mount his drink system on. You really don't notice the bulk but would sure notice the extra protection in a crash.

• kev94mx

Posted April 04, 2001 - 12:11 PM

the name brand is franklin. the web site is detroithockey.com I used it again today works great!!! The pads clean up pretty well and have anti sweat and deoderant additives in the material. Mine is the sr pro model. see ya

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • enmerdeur

Posted April 04, 2001 - 12:38 PM

Now this looks very interesting. Do you wear it under your jersey? What size did you get? Is there any back protection?
Posted Image

------------------
SHN
99'YZ-400 (Mine)
00' TT-R 125 (Hers)
91' KX-125 (Son #1)
99' PW-80 (Son #3)

[This message has been edited by enmerdeur (edited 04-04-2001).]

• fastkevin

Posted April 04, 2001 - 06:12 PM

Boit, I too am stuck with the HRP protector. My wife got it for me for Christmas. I was told that it's a one size fits all kind of deal, what a joke. I have a Dainese " Safety Jacket" I used to stuff underneath road racing leathers. It has shoulder, elbow, and forearm armor. It also has a pretty stout chest protector and a back protector that goes down to your tailbone. It fits nicely under your jersey and allows good movement. It's done quite well in a couple of lowsides and a highside containing a flip and 3/4 twist ( both on asphalt). It was about $200 from Lockhart a few years ago, don't know if they still carry them

• enmerdeur

Posted April 05, 2001 - 12:44 PM

Well I ordered one of these units today. We will see how she flys. It looks like it should work well. Well if it doesn't work out I can always give it to my hockey playing buddy next door.

------------------
SHN
99'YZ-400 (Mine)
00' TT-R 125 (Hers)
91' KX-125 (Son #1)
99' PW-80 (Son #3)

• Sigster

Posted April 06, 2001 - 09:45 PM

Hockey elbow guards offer way more protection than any motocross ones I've seen. And cost 1/2 as much. We get screwed on our gear prices. Does it really cost over $100 to manufactuer a plastic chest protector?

• enmerdeur

Posted April 06, 2001 - 09:54 PM

Sigster,

I am with you. That is why I am taking the plunge and am going to try this unit.

For you youngsters out there, when MX was in it's enfancy, hockey equipment was the orginal protection equipment.

------------------
SHN
99'YZ-400 (Mine)
00' TT-R 125 (Hers)
91' KX-125 (Son #1)
99' PW-80 (Son #3)

• AngryCandy

Posted April 25, 2001 - 09:12 PM

enmerdeur and anyone else who bought the Franklin shoulder pads,

What's the verdict? Do you think it provides better protection than moto chest protectors? How's the range of motion? Fit under a jersey?

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.