2004 wr450 with bad backfiring issues

45 replies to this topic
  • 67baja

Posted March 11, 2011 - 06:41 PM

Oh yeah he siad the dealer in vegas jetted the bike for local riding but I am not sure of the size of the jet.

That's priceless. My 07 wr450 was jetted at a Vegas dealership after they put on a Pro Circuit exhaust. It had a 135 main jet in it when I bought it! That's only 30 or so jet sizes too small! Freakin idiots.

• THE CYBERDEMON

Posted March 12, 2011 - 09:37 PM

Finally I got her running good, she is purring like a kitten. No bog or backfire at all and it starts with one kick. I pulled the header and there was no gasket so I got one in there and followed those instructions for setting my fuel screw and this bike runs so good now. I finally got out and went for my first ride and I love it, I am so stoked. Now I just need to get the suspension set up.:thumbsup:

• CanadianWR450

Posted March 13, 2011 - 05:05 AM

Finally I got her running good, she is purring like a kitten. No bog or backfire at all and it starts with one kick. I pulled the header and there was no gasket so I got one in there and followed those instructions for setting my fuel screw and this bike runs so good now. I finally got out and went for my first ride and I love it, I am so stoked. Now I just need to get the suspension set up.:smirk:

Good stuff!:thumbsup:

Now you just need to add pics.......

Just out of curiosity, where did you end up with the fuel screw?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • THE CYBERDEMON

Posted March 13, 2011 - 07:22 AM

I set my fuel screw 3 or 3.5 turns out, I guess I need a bigger pilot jet, but I am going to wait a month to re jet because the weather will change so much by then. I will shoot some pics as soon as I get my truck and my camera back from the mechanic. I think I am going to do a write up on my Utah street legal kit to add to the wealth of info on this forum, it was really pretty simple and only cost me $130 to put together.

• CanadianWR450

Posted March 13, 2011 - 07:41 AM

I set my fuel screw 3 or 3.5 turns out, I guess I need a bigger pilot jet, but I am going to wait a month to re jet because the weather will change so much by then. I will shoot some pics as soon as I get my truck and my camera back from the mechanic. I think I am going to do a write up on my Utah street legal kit to add to the wealth of info on this forum, it was really pretty simple and only cost me $130 to put together.

Yeah, thats what I do..in a month your 3 - 3.5 turns out will be down to 2 turns out probably...if it works good right now at 3-3.5, why bother to change the pilot, when you already know you will have to change it back out in 2 to 4 weeks? (My opinion). Now, the fuel screw will not help you with bogging, or surging, or anything much in the middle to top end.

You will very quickly get to know your bike (each one is different), and know EXACTLY what changes you need to make (or not make for that matter) for jetting without even thinking about it. I don't even "test" jetting changes anymore if I need to make them. The main/needle settings generally can get you through a pretty wide range of conditions.

• davidl9999

Posted March 13, 2011 - 06:17 PM

Yeah, thats what I do..in a month your 3 - 3.5 turns out will be down to 2 turns out probably...if it works good right now at 3-3.5, why bother to change the pilot, when you already know you will have to change it back out in 2 to 4 weeks? (My opinion)...

Beyond 2.5T open, the fuelscrew has a a tendency to vibrate out of the carb. My 2c is to change the PJ 1 size up now and reclaim that extra thread.
Glad to see the bike is running well now, Cyberdemon. :thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.