Factory Yamaha Europe goes for Stock KYB !

21 replies to this topic
  • HRC

Posted February 11, 2011 - 04:25 AM

Apparently Rinaldi factory Yamaha and Ohlins could not corparate and decided not to work together in 2011.

The team had their free choice of either continue with Ohlins or go for the factory KYB A-kit. But Rinaldi Yamaha will use stock KYB suspension tuned by there inhouse suspension guy. Sure there will be some special stuff inside those stock legs but pretty cool that they choose to build it up from the KYB SSS-suspension.

That shows that the stock stuff on our bikes really has come a long way in recent years !

Here are some pictures from 2 days ago... David Philippaerts out testing on the Rinaldi bike.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

• Family Man

Posted February 11, 2011 - 08:14 AM

What offset clamps is he running, linkage lenght etc? A list of aftermarket parts would be interesting.Yeah stock is good ssstuff.

• KJ790

Posted February 11, 2011 - 08:19 AM

That reminds me of 2008 when Grant Langston opted to run revalved stock KYB forks instead of the works forks and went on to win the US national championship. Stock suspension can be made to work pretty darn good for sure.

• Davey762

Posted February 11, 2011 - 12:28 PM

Cool info!

• HRC

Posted February 11, 2011 - 12:45 PM

What offset clamps is he running, linkage lenght etc? A list of aftermarket parts would be interesting.Yeah stock is good ssstuff.

Rinaldi use X-trig tripleclamps. Those clamps have adjustable offset 20 or 22.

Linkage is Rinaldi product.

Arrow exhaust system.

Rinaldi engine-kit.

Brembo hydralic clutch.

• RJacks

Posted February 11, 2011 - 06:26 PM

That reminds me of 2008 when Grant Langston opted to run revalved stock KYB forks instead of the works forks and went on to win the US national championship. Stock suspension can be made to work pretty darn good for sure.

That was 2007.

• KJ790

Posted February 11, 2011 - 11:16 PM

That was 2007.

Oops, you're right, my bad. They start to blur together after a while...

• Family Man

Posted February 12, 2011 - 08:33 AM

I think it was 2007 but he was using a 2008 bike.

• ellisde

Posted February 12, 2011 - 10:24 AM

the xtrig could be in any offset,i dont think they are 20-22 mm because under 22mm its too nervus.the track the pics are shoot is malpensa in north italy,its a rough trak were during the winter a lot of europen pros are training...

if u got some spare money, spend it on xtrig, its finest german technologi :smirk:
www.xtrig.com

• HRC

Posted February 12, 2011 - 12:21 PM

the xtrig could be in any offset,i dont think they are 20-22 mm because under 22mm its too nervus.the track the pics are shoot is malpensa in north italy,its a rough trak were during the winter a lot of europen pros are training...

if u got some spare money, spend it on xtrig, its finest german technologi :smirk:
www.xtrig.com

I have X-trig on my YZ450F and they are indeed 20 or 22 offset. X-trig can not be in "any" offset, not the ones we mortal can buy at least ! Only 20 or 22 !

22 is stock offset on 2010/2011 YZ450F !

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • HRC

Posted February 12, 2011 - 12:27 PM

Here is David Philippaerts new teammate for 2011 season, Steven Frossard training on his Rinaldi Yamaha !

• ellisde

Posted February 13, 2011 - 03:26 AM

I have X-trig on my YZ450F and they are indeed 20 or 22 offset. X-trig can not be in "any" offset, not the ones we mortal can buy at least ! Only 20 or 22 !

22 is stock offset on 2010/2011 YZ450F !

true stock is 22mm,the normal xtrig offest is 20mm - 22mm ( but who goes down withe the offset from 22mm to 20mm if the the 22mm is too nervus?)

BUT: xtrig will produce every offset for u which u like! i do ride komplett sölva supension with 22mm-24mm xtrig the fork is 49mm so its spesial xtrig done. ken de dyker and phillipaerts rode the same offset in the wm in 2010.most german dm&master rider going 24mm in the yzf 450!!!

• HRC

Posted February 13, 2011 - 12:16 PM

true stock is 22mm,the normal xtrig offest is 20mm - 22mm ( but who goes down withe the offset from 22mm to 20mm if the the 22mm is too nervus?)

BUT: xtrig will produce every offset for u which u like! i do ride komplett sölva supension with 22mm-24mm xtrig the fork is 49mm so its spesial xtrig done. ken de dyker and phillipaerts rode the same offset in the wm in 2010.most german dm&master rider going 24mm in the yzf 450!!!

MXA and Doug Dubach have been testing with 20 offset and lowering link but don´t know if they really felt it was any better ?

Do you really think that the stock 22 offset is nervous ? Have you ridden a stock CRF450 2009-2010 ? Thats what I call nervous handling ! To me the 2011 Yamaha is stable as a bulldozer !....but I come from 2 years struggling with the 2009/2010 CRF450 though so I guess anything else would be better !

• rickallen124

Posted February 13, 2011 - 03:45 PM

Enzo has axle lugs made that change the offset to 24mm. Motoconcepts runs those lugs on all of the race bikes indoors and outdoors. MXA tested it when they had all of the different companies build 2010 YZ450s, pro circuit, yoshimura, hotcams etc, back a few months ago. They liked the procircuit linkage and they also liked how calm the front end felt with enzo's 24mm offset lugs.

• grayracer513

Posted February 13, 2011 - 04:29 PM

Enzo has axle lugs made that change the offset to 24mm.

Of course, they don't actually change the offset to 24 mm at the clamps, but the do move the axle 2 mm forward, which produces the net effect of running 24 mm clamps. What I can't quite fathom is why they would have taken such a difficult approach (changing KYB axle lugs is NOT easy) when they could much more simply have used a set of 24 mm clamps such as those made by Applied Racing for the '06-'09. Or did I miss something that says they won't fit?

• ellisde

Posted February 14, 2011 - 01:25 AM

:smirk: thats the good thing about the xtrig with 22mm-24mm,if u ging to race a tricky track ,ill use 22mm,if its a high way i use 24mm.everybody knows, what a big suprise is hitting u , when u got in 5th gear in trouble incase of nervous offset!!!

the sölva fork is about 1,5cm shorter than the stock yz,so its with 24mm not the same as stock and 24mm

the sölva man in germany ( he got with 222 world champion in 2009) says: dont chnage the rear link!! if u u do this, u change the hole bike?! and to be honest,he knows wahts he is saying...

• HRC

Posted February 14, 2011 - 10:32 AM

the sölva fork is about 1,5cm shorter than the stock yz,so its with 24mm not the same as stock and 24mm

Sorry....I don´t try to say you are wrong in what your saying or anything like that. But to me this sounds strange....the stock fork is longer than the Sölva fork and feeling nervous for you with 22 offset. You put on the shorter Sölva fork (something that should make a bike more nervous, atleast in my world ?) You compensate that with a 24mm offset. Aren´t you ending up with nearly the same gemotry as stock ? But ofcourse with a much tricker fork:smirk:

I might be out cycling with no hands now, but please prove me wrong if so ! :smirk:

• ellisde

Posted February 14, 2011 - 01:15 PM

@hrc

u are right! but you cant compare sölva with stock mx forks . the front axle is more in front than stock,so its equate!

when i got the yz new,i had often probs in deep sand tracks,the front turned suddenly in ( like over steering) this was with 22mm,with xtrig 24mm its gone.when i put the xtrig to 22mm i have too look forwad that this does not happen.

have a look at ama supercross when bubbas falls,the front end suddenly turns in..this is caused by too short fram geometry !

• harrperf

Posted February 14, 2011 - 05:59 PM

I have heard the majority of sx teams are running the front wheel closer to the frame rather than farther..

aka less offset and a few other things.

But outdoors it's probably the other way - as the bike does have some quirks...

I think the reason for the yz to quickly loose the front is more related to weight ON the front - with the motor rotated backwards - it has less weight on the front to begin with.

Couple that with a typical sx fork set up - stiff and quick rebound - and it really struggles.

The stock yzf forks was changed drastically for 10-11 to slow the rebound considerably. It helps the bike get a little more weight on the front - and hold it mid corner.

It also magnifies the stinkbug feel.

• HRC

Posted February 15, 2011 - 12:46 AM

I have experinced some strange things coming in to corners also. So I put up a videocamera and did the same corner over and over again. The thing I noticed was that when coming in to the corner and braking you normaly have the clutch pulled in. Just before you enter the corner you normaly release the clutch. That´s when the engine braking comes into play...and suddenly the rearwheel slides slightly to the side, making the front wheel loose grip and may feel like and oversteer.

So I think that some of the handling problems some feel with the 2010/2011 YZ450F has to do with the engine braking. I never experienced this with the Honda´s I´ve had before.

I don´t feel this is a problem because you get used to it and adapt your riding after it. No big deal if you ask me.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.