Setting timing, need help ('08)

11 replies to this topic
  • FiremanKay

Posted February 10, 2011 - 01:54 PM

I went to remove the sight screw and it started to strip out :rant: I stopped before it did but i am afraid to try anymore. Can I set my timing without it. Nothing is ever easy ...:smirk: Also where can I get a flywheel puller? and do I have to have it to remove it?

• sacfelix

Posted February 10, 2011 - 02:12 PM

You will need to acess those marks on the flywheel that are behind that plug. You can get a flywheel puller from your local dealer or ebay and you will need the puller to get the flywheel off.

• grayracer513

Posted February 10, 2011 - 02:36 PM

Yes, you can set the timing without accessing the marks by using a probe such as a Philips screwdriver down through the spark plug hole to find TDC. It will still be much easier if you can at least remove the center plug so as to turn the crank with a socket wrench.

You did not bother to tell us what year model you have, but either of the two pullers should be readily available. The '05 and earlier uses the same puller that 90% of Japanese MX two-strokes use, and the '06 and later uses the same puller that services a CRF450 Honda. And, yes, they are definitely necessary if you need to pull the flywheel. It is not generally necessary topull the flywheel to reset the timing, though, unless you rotate the crank excessively with the chain off the cams and drop a link under the crank sprocket. If you want to change the chain, you do need to pull the flywheel.

• FiremanKay

Posted February 10, 2011 - 02:50 PM

Sorry about that grey, I put the year in my title. Its an 2008 YZ450. I'm sure I can get the center plug out. I am doing a cam chain but I know I will need to set the timing once I get the new one on. Thanks for the help, I will call around for a puller.

• grayracer513

Posted February 10, 2011 - 04:03 PM

The plastic plugs are easy enough to remove if you don't mind butchering them, especially the top one. Buy a replacement first, then file a notch in the top edge so that you can use a screwdriver and a hammer to drive the plug in a counterclockwise direction.

The '08 plugs have hex sockets don't they?

• FiremanKay

Posted February 10, 2011 - 06:00 PM

Yup its a Hex. I was thinking about trying to use a screw driver and hammer. How would I go about finding replacement plugs? Tried ebay but dont know the name.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • FiremanKay

Posted February 10, 2011 - 09:04 PM

Is the nut on the flywheel reverse thread? It doesnt say in my manual and it looks like it was on the older bikes...

• tpars121

Posted February 11, 2011 - 04:56 AM

Here are some threads that were very helpful when I did mine the first time.

http://www.thumperta...405#post3150405

http://www.thumperta...845#post7467845

• tech24

Posted February 11, 2011 - 07:03 AM

Is the nut on the flywheel reverse thread? It doesnt say in my manual and it looks like it was on the older bikes...

no its normal RH threads!

• FiremanKay

Posted February 11, 2011 - 07:59 AM

no its normal RH threads!

Thank you guys, got it. Just scared to mess something up. 90hrs and the old cam chain looks and feels just like the new one... better to be safe I guess.

• grayracer513

Posted February 11, 2011 - 08:32 AM

How would I go about finding replacement plugs?

Have you considered a Yamaha dealer?

• tech24

Posted February 11, 2011 - 09:46 AM

......or motosport, rockymountain, bikebandit, cheapcycle parts, thats all I can think of but then you gotta pay shipping which may be more than at the dealer

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.