counter shaft seal

6 replies to this topic
  • Gaffo

Posted February 08, 2011 - 11:12 AM

hi guys i know there has been a lot of threads about this but i still cant seem to find the answer to my problem, i have changed my counter shaft seal 3 times now and still cant stop it leaking there is no play in the bearing and shaft seems fine (not bent) the only thing is the seals are not yamaha parts,its starting to piss me off even though these are great bikes im seriously thinking about selling it, really dont want to tear down the engine,any help would be appreicated:banghead::thumbsup::banghead::lol:

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted February 08, 2011 - 06:32 PM

i know there has been a lot of threads about this

Really? You do know this isnt the KTM forum right :( :lol: :ride:

the only thing is the seals are not yamaha parts

IMHO I'd start with ordering the correct OEM replacement...then report back to use :thumbsup:

• tribalbc

Posted February 08, 2011 - 07:17 PM

And replace the oring and collar as well....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Birdy426

Posted February 08, 2011 - 08:07 PM

And replace the oring and collar as well....

+1 on the o-ring and collar!

• GuyGraham

Posted February 09, 2011 - 04:59 AM

OEM seal is £19 in the UK

Std dble lipped oil seal is only a coupl of quid from a bearing factor

However, the OEM seal is not a std seal - it has a larger ribbed lip on the inner side
This may be the cause of your issues
If your seal is leaking, as said above, always change the collar as well.

• grayracer513

Posted February 09, 2011 - 09:23 AM

A mistake commonly made with the YZF/WRF is to install the seal too deep in the bore. When this is done, the lips of the seal may over hang the "castle" notches on the inboard end of the collar, creating a built-in leak. The seal needs to be inserted square with the bore, and positioned so that it stands proud of the end of the bore by about 1 mm or less, but no more than flush with the case.

Definitely inspect the collar. Any distinct groove worn in it will keep it from sealing.

• Gaffo

Posted February 10, 2011 - 04:37 AM

Thanks for all the help I'll get all the new parts and let ye know how I get on

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.