05 WR 450F does not want to idle

12 replies to this topic
  • radu constantin

Posted February 08, 2011 - 08:15 AM

Hello

When a start it cold i leave the choke pulled for 1 maybe 2 minutes,and as soon as i push it back the engine stops
Is something normal for this model to warm up a little bit slower compare to other models?

I ve serviced the carb and made all the settings right(i think),according to the manual.

Also, another issue is with the headlight bulb that gets blown buy a voltage increase when i twist the throttle
Made the charging test on the battery and is normal

Thanks,

• William1

Posted February 08, 2011 - 08:41 AM

Replace the pilot jet with a NEW one.

Check all grounds and the AC output of the regulator. Your headlight is not run off the battery, it is run directly off the regulator.

• radu constantin

Posted February 09, 2011 - 01:48 AM

Replace the pilot jet with a NEW one.

Check all grounds and the AC output of the regulator. Your headlight is not run off the battery, it is run directly off the regulator.

Thanks for the advices

I ll let you know how it works after.

• jrutkows

Posted February 09, 2011 - 09:40 AM

You probably also need to adjust the pilot circuit as well.

• radu constantin

Posted March 01, 2011 - 08:30 AM

well,

I have replaced the pilot jet.,made all the adjusments to the carb and still does not want to idle

I can t figure it out what could be the problem!

Air screw 1 turn out,floater ok,clean and does not want to idle

does not wanna start easily and it runs only with the choke pulled

It revs ok

Any ideas?

Thank you

• jrutkows

Posted March 01, 2011 - 09:48 AM

If it won't idle, then how did you adjust the fuel screw? How did you come to a setting of 1 turn out?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • radu constantin

Posted March 01, 2011 - 10:13 AM

If it won't idle, then how did you adjust the fuel screw? How did you come to a setting of 1 turn out?

the manual says so!

is there another way to adjust the screw?

• jrutkows

Posted March 01, 2011 - 09:24 PM

look in the stickies at the top of the forum page, it's fifth down from the top, how to adjust your pilot circuit.

it seems like somehow you are lean on the pilot circuit

• radu constantin

Posted March 01, 2011 - 10:46 PM

but i can t make it idle.

only runs with the choke pulled

• strtdsmallproject

Posted March 02, 2011 - 06:49 AM

Sounds like clogged pilot circuit. Pull the needle and jet and blow the passage out.

• jrutkows

Posted March 02, 2011 - 08:36 AM

So when and how did this condition occur?

If the bike ran fine and then sat for a long while, then your pilot circuit is clogged somewhere and need to be cleaned out. If you've changed something else, and now the bike won't idle without the choke, then you are too lean. Turn the mixture screw out, if after 2.5 turns it's still too lean then you need to go up on the pilot jet size. Once you get it idling, then follow the procedure to adjust the mixture screw.

• X-Racer

Posted March 04, 2011 - 04:58 PM

...and if it is oxidized by exposure to gas with ethanol blowing it out won't get it.

You can soak it (the jets) momentarily in some acetone (Carburetor cleaner) and use a pin (sewing needle etc) to scrape/hone the inside of it. Don't use carburetor cleaner in/on your carb. It will have an adverse effect on the seals and plastic parts in/on it.

Make sure your petrol is fresh AND clean or no matter what you do you'll likely un-do it quickly.

The comment on the screw is because you need the bike to idle before you obtain the optimum setting. It's usually more than one turn out (nominally two (2), to two and one-half (2.5) out.)

• mach1jonny

Posted March 06, 2011 - 10:39 PM

I had a problem a little like this on my son-in-laws bike. Hot start was frozen, creating a very lean condition. Which was why it would only run with the choke on.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.