09 yz450 rear shock bushing/bearing replacement

6 replies to this topic
  • czechalien

Posted February 08, 2011 - 06:14 AM

Hey guys,
Seems like my rear shock upper bushing/bearing needs to be replaced, how difficult is it to do?
Are there any special tool I need or am I better off, having shop do it.

Thanks muchh

• grayracer513

Posted February 08, 2011 - 08:58 AM

You can jerry rig something with scraps of tube or sockets, but an arbor press is really much nicer to have for that. Why do you think it needs replacement?

• czechalien

Posted February 08, 2011 - 06:46 PM

there's a small play and seems like a good idea to replace it, I don't want to mess this up, so I will have local mechanic do that for me.

THX

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted February 08, 2011 - 07:24 PM

there's a small play and seems like a good idea to replace it, I don't want to mess this up, so I will have local mechanic do that for me.

THX

There normally is some clearance in the upper bearing. I doubt it needs replacing. Compare it with another with low hours on it. I think you'd be annoyed to spend money on the job to find the new one just as loose.

• YamaLink

Posted February 09, 2011 - 06:04 AM

Yeah, save the effort to replace the lower shock bearing if/when that goes out.

• czechalien

Posted February 09, 2011 - 06:32 AM

I did check my friens bike, we bought our bike at the same time and he only has
35hrs and there is no play on his bike.
Besides, bearing is only $26

• moeller96

Posted March 06, 2013 - 05:11 AM

did you ever get this fixed I have a 08 yz450f and the upper bearing seems to have gotten loose this year, along with something in the linkage. just wondering if it was expensive to have it replaced and if it is tight now.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.