Why you should grease the linkage bearings

14 replies to this topic
  • crooks420

Posted February 07, 2011 - 07:28 PM

Last year I took the swingarm and linkage off to regrease all the bearings and seals. This was the second time doing this on my 2005 WR450; the first time was back in 06.
All the bearings looked ok except for the lower shock bearing.... that one was a little dry. The swingarm bearing sleeves did show some wear, but I will replace all the suspension bearings probably this year.

So it is a good idea to check these things out every couple years and regrease all the bearings.

Jesse

Posted Image

Posted Image

• WR450FGreg

Posted February 07, 2011 - 11:05 PM

My '08 WR450F has done just 3000 km and I think I've cleaned re-greased the rear end 4 or 5 times already.

Some say it depends on the type of riding you do, but I reckon it's a good habit to get into to do it more often than you think it needs it.

My two cents anyway.

Greg

• kawi380

Posted February 08, 2011 - 05:15 AM

Yep, I do mine probably twice a year when changing jetting. I figure as long as I have the shock off I might as well clean and grease the bearings.

• dgcars

Posted February 08, 2011 - 05:41 AM

Yep, I do mine probably twice a year when changing jetting. I figure as long as I have the shock off I might as well clean and grease the bearings.

Easier to re-grease than replace. Less expensive too. :thumbsup:

• beezer

Posted February 08, 2011 - 06:29 AM

You can get to everything on a WR carb without taking the shock off.

• Bandit9

Posted February 08, 2011 - 01:13 PM

AHHH, don't mess with his rythymn.....think of it like....He is taking his shock off to grease his linkage etc, but while the shock is off, he will do his jetting swap, since it's readily available.....

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

• climaxx dirtbikes

Posted February 08, 2011 - 01:20 PM

You can get to everything on a WR carb without taking the shock off.

True you can but with a lot more yelling and use of bad words. I greased my bike when new and its now about 8 months old so prob due to be done again soon.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tribalbc

Posted February 08, 2011 - 09:02 PM

Well here in wet and muddy BC I regrease mine at the end of the season and mid season. Still not enough :thumbsup:
I've had to replace swingarm and linkage bearings twice. So I guess it's time to bump it up to 3 times a season.

Not as bad as the RM250 I have though. A month and those bearings were rescue recovery.

• MANIAC998

Posted February 09, 2011 - 02:04 AM

And if you own/use a pressure washer, you'll have to relube even more often! People get crazy with those pressure washers!!! Maniac

• dgcars

Posted February 09, 2011 - 02:28 AM

And if you own/use a pressure washer, you'll have to relube even more often! People get crazy with those pressure washers!!! Maniac

Sorry to stray off topic, but it is kinda related......My buddy has a SXF250. 2009, 50 hrs. He has replaced wheel bearings 3 times. He uses a HOT pressure washer and wonders why......:thumbsup:

• GuyGraham

Posted February 09, 2011 - 05:14 AM

To the OP

Looks like your seals are knackered and hence letting in water

The seals are critical to keeping out moisture and hecne stopping the bearings from rusting
No matter how much grease you put in, if the seals are worn out, then you'll end up with bearings the same as in your photo's

• YamaLink

Posted February 09, 2011 - 05:52 AM

I like it when taking apart linkage and dust falls out. Then you pull a bit of string cheese out. And then I wonder how the rider of this bike was so much faster than me even with all this mess back here.

• MANIAC998

Posted February 09, 2011 - 07:01 AM

Yamalink, Like they say, Ignorance is Bliss!!! I've got a buddy that can always just barely beat me, and all of his bikes are crap!!! Pisses me off to no-end!!! Maniac

• yz-dwg

Posted February 09, 2011 - 10:42 AM

I agree about conditions, I grease my '06 every year and other than the first time (very little grease but no string cheese) it always has plenty grease left over, I ride mostly in the dry desert and never pressure wash., my.02$

• Icelandic_amateur

Posted February 11, 2011 - 12:56 PM

I have a 2005 WR. I greased it in 2009 (probably the first time it was done). One of the bearings was a bit dry. Others looked good.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.