Crank Case questions 06 YZ450

3 replies to this topic
  • sledtrash

Posted February 04, 2011 - 05:40 PM

So I have my 450 tore apart and when I was mating the cases back up I ran into some issues at home, and I had to leave the cases not fully mated for about twenty mins, my question is this...

Will this silicone adhesive still seal properly when the sealant sat on the case and dried?
Posted Image

I went ahead and mated the cases and torqued to specs, and after all was said and done I found this little guy on the floor next to my work table... Is this bike related? or is it something random in my garage?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thanks guys!!

• pdunlop

Posted February 04, 2011 - 10:01 PM

That part looks to be from the end of the gearbox shift cam for the neutral gear sensor. It fits into a hole there with a spring behind it to apply pressure. You shouldn't need to split the cases again to fit it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sledtrash

Posted February 04, 2011 - 10:24 PM

That part looks to be from the end of the gearbox shift cam for the neutral gear sensor. It fits into a hole there with a spring behind it to apply pressure. You shouldn't need to split the cases again to fit it.

So I'll just have to pull the neutral switch off of the outside and put it and the spring that was conveniently sitting close to it back in? Earlier I looked on the parts schematics but I couldn't find it. But now that you say that I see where it should go, the small diagram on the schemtic doesn't look like what I have but I'm sure thats it.

Thanks man.

The other question I had. Will those cases seal up fine even though the yamaha gasket sealer I put on had mostly set up by the time I was able to slide the cases together??

• pdunlop

Posted February 05, 2011 - 02:25 AM

I've never actually tried putting the spring and pin in via the switch opening, but I don't see why it wouldn't work (and I'm glad you found the spring). Let us know how you go for future reference!

And I can't really say about the sealant - I'm not sure if it is meant to act like a rubber gasket that relies on pressure for sealing, or whether it is meant to act like a contact adhesive and glue the joint closed. Perhaps you could put a small amount of lightweight oil into the semi-assembled engine and see if it weeps from the joints.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.