Used or New 2009 YZ450F?

18 replies to this topic
  • TripleUp

Posted February 04, 2011 - 02:26 PM

Sooooooooo I've been saving for a long time to buy a brand new bike and I've been looking at getting a left over 2009 YZ450. I would prefer not to buy a used bike because I know some people just abuse their bikes and then sell them and I don't want any of the head aches of buying a used bike. I don't want to be buying someone else's "Problem". With that being said I've come across such a clean 2009 YZ450F that it is hard for me to turn away. Is it worth waiting and spending a little extra to get a new bike that I will know everything about and everything it's been through and not have to think about it. Or should I save a little and buy this used almost new bike? Do you think there could be any problems already with a bike that new? Well anything is possible, but how likely is it a bike this new could have an issue already? As you can see he has several new looking Honda's in his garage as well which seems to be a good sign in my opinion. Also a good sign to me is that there is an hour metre on the bike, although there seems to be some discoloration on the frame around where it is mounted. I don't think it's a problem, just looks weird. It also already has a new chain and sprockets which is good because the stock chain is crap. The seller did not have the amount of hours on the bike listed in the advert, but I have e-mailed them asking about the hours, what type of rider and what type of riding has been done with the bike, whats the reason for selling the bike, etc... Here are pictures of the used bike. Let me know whats you guys think and feel free to share your opinions!

Posted Image

Posted Image

• yzf1999

Posted February 04, 2011 - 06:38 PM

I just bought a new 09 450f for $5050 OTD...thats a good deal to me..I'd only buy a clean used one for $3500 or less...The extra $1500 is worth the peace of mind to me...just my .02 cents

• FiremanKay

Posted February 04, 2011 - 11:45 PM

You know where I stand :thumbsup:

• geshields

Posted February 05, 2011 - 05:25 AM

I would go for the used one depending on how many hours are on it. The Yamaha motor is bulletproof. I have 90 hours on my 2007, valves have never moved from day 1 and that is after 1 year of casual riding and 1 year of racing it. I just am finishing up the rebuild of the top end and it all looked good. I am replacing piston and rings, cam chain and on the head, only the valve springs. This is only precautionary so I can get another year of racing out of it....

I would take the money saved on the used one and put it towards suspension.

• FiremanKay

Posted February 05, 2011 - 07:01 AM

I would take the money saved on the used one and put it towards suspension.

Great point.

• FZ1426

Posted February 05, 2011 - 06:25 PM

Two points:

1. The stock chain on an '09 is not crap but a good cad plated DID.

2. The '09 YZ doesn't need suspension work. The Kayaba SSS suspension is considered the best available and includes a Ti shock spring. If you weigh much more than 200 lbs. however you would probably need a stiffer spring. It's an absolute shame to replace a Ti spring with steel, but the stiffer Ti spring from Yamaha is $675 :thumbsup:

• husky390or

Posted February 05, 2011 - 07:10 PM

Looks pretty clean, plus he's already installed a new header, that will probably save you $300 or so right there. A new 09 will cost you $5k here in the states.

• shrubitup

Posted February 05, 2011 - 08:41 PM

Depends on the delta between the used bike and the new bike price. That particular model shown (777) is a low-hour well kept bike. :thumbsup:

• FiremanKay

Posted February 05, 2011 - 08:41 PM

2. The '09 YZ doesn't need suspension work. The Kayaba SSS suspension is considered the best available and includes a Ti shock spring. If you weigh much more than 200 lbs. however you would probably need a stiffer spring. It's an absolute shame to replace a Ti spring with steel, but the stiffer Ti spring from Yamaha is $675 :thumbsup:

I think the suspension work we had is mind is a revalve for riders style and speed.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • zukboy789

Posted February 05, 2011 - 08:48 PM

I would just spend the extra and get the new one just for the piece of mind.

• FiremanKay

Posted February 05, 2011 - 08:48 PM

Depends on the delta between the used bike and the new bike price. That particular model shown (777) is a low-hour well kept bike. :thumbsup:

Sounds like we got an insider. Help this guy out. I would 100% buy a low hour used bike to save anything over $500

• shrubitup

Posted February 05, 2011 - 09:21 PM

Sounds like we got an insider. Help this guy out. I would 100% buy a low hour used bike to save anything over $500

Such bikes usually have goodies on them too making them worth more. Additionally, no tax dealer prep or doc fees either.

Me? Insider? Ontario whuh? Oh, in California right? :thumbsup:

• umu24013

Posted February 05, 2011 - 09:28 PM

New is NEW

• brentn

Posted February 05, 2011 - 09:38 PM

If it's something like 1000$ more for new, I would def go new. Nothing beats brand new if the price is good, you know that the chances of something wrong with it are probably less than a percent!
Used is a risk, you said so yourself, but sometimes it is the better buy.

If it's real clean, your still taking a chance, but if you can save 2-3000$ that's ALOT of money for mods, parts or possible upgrades.
Wasn't there a guy here who bought a crated 09 leftover for something like 4500$????? Just blows me away how much money a dealer will lose sometimes when they just can't afford to keep old stock.
I suppose I shouldn't be so surprised, I worked retail in the computer industry and when new products came out (which was all the time) you just have to lose money to get the new products in. We used to blow out computers that were 2900$ cost, for like 6-700$ that were a year old because it was just sitting there doing nothing, gotta make room in your inventory for the new stuff!

• HONDA NO MORE

Posted February 05, 2011 - 09:48 PM

I would look for a cleaner bike than the one shown in the pic. I have bought my last 5 yz450's used, all on original rear tires, with a lot less paint worn off of the clutch cover, 0 problems on them all, and they all where cleaner than the bike shown, you just have to be patient and watch the ads. I think you are on the right path buying used, a new bike you are going to take a big hit on resale when the time comes.

• shrubitup

Posted February 05, 2011 - 10:26 PM

a new bike you are going to take a bigger hit on resale when the time comes.

Fixt your post above. We all take a hit if we keep the bike longer than six months. That's why a smoking deal on a used bike mitigates the big hit on depreciation. Besides, it's a YZF. If it wasn't raced every weekend chances are you'll be just fine. :thumbsup:

YZFs don't just blow up IMO. Need to be seriously neglected for that to happen. If you can't spot a neglected bike then by all means buy NEW.

• MAD_POTTER

Posted February 05, 2011 - 10:44 PM

I found a used 09 on craigslist for $3650. The guy said 10 hours on the completely stock bike. When I first saw the bike it still had the original tires, the ends of the grips were perfect (never down), the clutch cover had no paint wear and one of the first things I noticed was that the chain looked loose. It was the stock chain and had never been adjusted! I had to drive 120 miles to get it but jeez what a smokin' deal.

• shrubitup

Posted February 05, 2011 - 10:51 PM

^It's no surprise the chain was shagged after ten hours. Big power and a rubber band equivalent for an OEM chain results in big sag.

• monkeymotocross

Posted February 06, 2011 - 09:52 AM

i just got a 09 yz450 coming from a done up 2008 rmz450 gonna ride it today and hopefully i like it!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.