WOW...ATF actually works!

14 replies to this topic
  • motoman393

Posted March 31, 2001 - 05:56 PM

I drained my stock fork oil today and replaced it with Mobil 1 synthetic ATF...and the results are impressive! I no longer get the dreaded 3rd gear headshake (which i used to get)! My bike handles, turns, jumps and just all around feels better with the ATF!

Have any of yall had this kind of experience? Thanks,

Garrett

------------------
I get my kicks on a 2001' YZ426!
Friendswood, TX

• F-Pilot

Posted April 01, 2001 - 09:48 PM

Garrett, what do ride most, mx or off-road?
I have heard of using ATF but was never brave enough to try it.
Does the ATF have a viscosity rating?
Would be great to do a $5 oil change on the forks!

• mike_dean

Posted April 01, 2001 - 01:24 PM

I had my forks done at MX-tech and I am pretty sure they use Mobil ATF in all their forks and they work great.

• dirtdad

Posted April 01, 2001 - 01:31 PM

Mike, Did you get your suspension done with
MX-tech east? I've heard alot of good things about MX-tech and I may go to them when I'm ready for that service.

------------------
like a kid again!
00 YZ426F
01 TT-R125L (my son's)
91 CR125
83 YZ490
74 Hodaka Super Combat(gone but not forgotten!)

• motoman393

Posted April 01, 2001 - 01:52 PM

F-Pilot,

I ride MX...the reason that the ATF works better is, it is 7.5W (stock oil is 5 wt in the forks)! So this means that the mid stroke will be a tad firmer feeling (and makes the front not "dive" as much into hard corners, it also is great for big jumps. Since it is only $5 a pop it is cheap and can be replaced often. It also is red in color so contaminants are easy to spot!

For all you guys w/01 YZ 426's, I would replace your fork oil immediately, the reason is: there were ALOT of metal shavings and debris in my forks (looked similar to the 1st oil change on my bike and the oil was all silver in color)! Now my bike handles "head over heels" better and really sticks in the inside line now! Oh yeah why your at it clean and lube your steering stem (it comes bone dry from the factory) Hope this helps,

Garrett

------------------
Friendswood, TX

• G-Man

Posted April 01, 2001 - 02:04 PM

What oil level did you go with?

I went with Factory Connection fluid which is a 3wt and set it @ 110mm and set the clickers as a starting point at 12 out on both compression and rebound. Wow, the 1st min on the track I felt a HUGE difference as they were now plush and took away the harshness the 01's are famous for.

G

• Boit

Posted April 01, 2001 - 03:47 PM

I had my entire suspension done by MX-Tech and yes, Mobil1 ATF was used. There might be other suspension shops who do just as good work, but I'm very satisfied with MX-Tech. My racing buddy used RG3 and likes his as well.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mike_dean

Posted April 01, 2001 - 04:02 PM

Dirtdad, MX-tech in ILL. mike

• mcarp

Posted April 01, 2001 - 04:11 PM

MX-Tech East is located in Western PA on the border of Ohio. The "main" shop is in IL. Eastern riders will send them to PA.

There are few mods that improve your riding, both speed and enjoyment, more than a revalve. The YZ seat/tank is first as are tires suited to your terrain.

I like the revalve more than Scotts Damper :)

• motoman393

Posted April 01, 2001 - 05:25 PM

I went with the stock oil height @ 130mm (5.12 inches) I decided to stick to the stock height and go from there since im only 160lbs (the bike doesnt even know im on it :) )

Hey G-Man,

what is your weight and skill livel? And maybe your setup would work for me?!?! Im always open for suggestions to make my suspension better! Thanks,

Garrett

------------------
Friendswood, TX

[This message has been edited by motoman393 (edited 04-01-2001).]

• G-Man

Posted April 01, 2001 - 08:09 PM

Garrett,
I weigh about 164lbs and race in the
Master B class in the AZOTMX class in AZ. They have five classes, why I don't know but I'm currently on a 4 race win streak! :D I luv my bike!

The classes are like this:
Amateur
Novice
Expert
MasterB
MasterA

The only requirement is min age 40, so yea we may be old, but some of us get around ok!
:)

I don't have any current jpgs yet but I attached another shot, not sure if it would work or not????

The reason for the increased volume is you can open up your clickers more and it's always been my belief that the more open the valves are the better the fluid will flow resulting in a smoother ride. I know a suspension tuner who runs it at 90mm!!!

Not sure how it would work with 7.5 but I am curious as the FC fluid is EXPENSIVE!!!

Posted Image

• JBM

Posted April 02, 2001 - 07:43 AM

I also had my forks serviced by MX-Tech and they have Mobil 1 ATF in them. I agree with Garrett, the forks felt much smoother through the the stroke after the change. Good stuff, and good service from MX-Tech.

• flyinguitars

Posted April 02, 2001 - 08:36 AM

Dirtdad,
Theres a guy named Kessler, I think in the Trenton area. Have you heard of him? Hes supposed to be the real deal in suspension. Im going to get in touch with him and take my bike to him for suspension tuning. I'll give you the report when hes done. BTW, I have about 6 guys going to Port Elizibeth this weekend to ride: 2 KTM's, 2 Suzukis, and a YZ 400 and YZ 426...Let me know if you want to check it out.
Mike

• DaveJ

Posted April 02, 2001 - 10:11 AM

G-man,

Opening the clickers acts as a by-pass. The further you turn the screw out, the less oil is flowed into the valve (piston) and valve stack. Which usually means less resistence.

Smoother yes, but control comes with stability so the goal is to find the perfect balance.

Do you agree?

DaveJ

• G-Man

Posted April 02, 2001 - 06:37 PM

Originally posted by DaveJ:
G-man,

Opening the clickers acts as a by-pass. The further you turn the screw out, the less oil is flowed into the valve (piston) and valve stack. Which usually means less resistence.

Smoother yes, but control comes with stability so the goal is to find the perfect balance.

Do you agree?

DaveJ

I did not know it works as a bypass. I do know that putting in extra fluid always worked for me on my CR's with there harsh suspension. It seems to work on this bike too. I started at 12 out and turned it in 2 so now it's at 10 out 110mm 3wt oil. Seems to work great. I do know that if you havta crank in your clickers all the way to keep them from bottoming that this is WORSE then opening them IMHO.

Yes Stability is most important but rear sag and fork tube height is critical too, to obtain good stability and maintain precise turning benefits also.

------------------
G-Man

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Should I buy this bike? help....... by Numsa Hul

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 10 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • 1 review
  • Last review by Tommyk_55
  • On January 15, 2017
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.