yz 426 cold start no compression

4 replies to this topic
  • pembell

Posted February 03, 2011 - 02:16 AM

I've searched on the subject and there were a couple of answers, but I have a numpty question as a result of the answers I've read!

My 426 always starts no problem, but this morning - unusually cold in Saudi Arabia, but still about 6-10C - I got kick through with no compression, as if the decompression lever was stuck.

I immediately consulted TT and found a couple of potential answers, and figured from those it was the cold causing a valve clearance problem.

So, I parked her on the sunny side of the street, waited a bit, then kicked her over a few times and compression returned and she started. Went for a ride - all good - pulling liking a train again.

Now, I will check the valve clearances etc, but what I don't quite get yet is why the cold would make the valves open? I would have thought that the opposite would happen? Is it the head that shrinks? Is something else going on?

Edited by pembell, February 03, 2011 - 05:21 AM.

• grayracer513

Posted February 03, 2011 - 10:23 AM

I don't quite get yet is why the cold would make the valves open? I would have thought that the opposite would happen? Is it the head that shrinks?

Yes. The head is aluminum, and with the bucket tappet layout, it's not unusual for the head to contract enough with cold to lower the cams against the tappets enough to to hold the valves off the seats.

If the clearances seem normal, the culprit was probably carbon on a valve stem or face holding one open.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • pembell

Posted February 03, 2011 - 09:55 PM

Yes. The head is aluminum, and with the bucket tappet layout, it's not unusual for the head to contract enough with cold to lower the cams against the tappets enough to to hold the valves off the seats.

If the clearances seem normal, the culprit was probably carbon on a valve stem or face holding one open.

Thanks, Gray. So is there a 'correct ambient temperature' to set your clearances at? Or doesn't it matter?

• grayracer513

Posted February 04, 2011 - 07:58 AM

Thanks, Gray. So is there a 'correct ambient temperature' to set your clearances at? Or doesn't it matter?

I don't think it matters a lot where the engine is if the ambient temp is between about 40-100 ℉, but outside of that, it could have an effect. But the thing to remember is that in order for a temp of <30 ℉ to cause a loss of compression by holding the valves open, the valve clearance would need to be way too tight in any case.

• pembell

Posted February 05, 2011 - 05:52 AM

I don't think it matters a lot where the engine is if the ambient temp is between about 40-100 ℉, but outside of that, it could have an effect. But the thing to remember is that in order for a temp of <30 ℉ to cause a loss of compression by holding the valves open, the valve clearance would need to be way too tight in any case.

That's what I figured, so will get in there this week and have a look. Thanks again.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.