New exhaust

9 replies to this topic
  • yngsniper

Posted February 02, 2011 - 08:30 PM

Just installed a LEXX MXe pipe on my 2009 Yamaha WR450F. I started the bike in the street and it sounded great but the header from the block turned bright red. I don't recall it changing color with the stock pipe. Just trying to find out if this is normal or not?

• woods-rider

Posted February 02, 2011 - 08:39 PM

Its lean now. you have to rejet.

• yngsniper

Posted February 03, 2011 - 12:22 AM

Is it bad that it's lean

• wanawakeboard

Posted February 03, 2011 - 12:31 AM

lean makes it run hot... bad for the bike...

• yngsniper

Posted February 03, 2011 - 07:06 PM

Any suggestions on a jet kit? Does it need to be done by a shop?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • wanawakeboard

Posted February 03, 2011 - 07:27 PM

depends on your skill level, if you look under the wr450 section and look for jetting youll get a lot of opinions, most end up being pretty close to the same jet sizes. it all depends on what altitude you ride and other factors... check out this link
http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=440372

• RunawayD81

Posted December 05, 2011 - 03:54 PM

@yngsniper... How do you like the Lexx system? Does it have good sound/performance??
It looks nice and the price is good! I am looking for a good exhaust for my '09 WR450. Of course its probably not a Yoshi but who has 400-500 bucks to spend on a pipe these days... However I'm sure the market is so close and competitive that they are all very close in performance.

• dustdogg

Posted December 05, 2011 - 05:27 PM

You must rejet especially with the new exhaust. Assuming you have all the free mods done, you then can jet the bike. If you want a great running bike and would rather not have the hassle of changing multiple jets to get it right go with the JD jet kit http://www.jdjetting.com/ follow the directions and you will be happy. I got it perfect the first time on my '07 while my '02 required just a change of the clip to get it right. I would also recommend the R&D flex jet http://www.r1dean.com/ this is the best fuel screw for the aluminum frame WR with little access. Do this and you will think you got a different bike.

• ur2silly

Posted December 05, 2011 - 06:39 PM

I have the Lexx exhaust on my 07 wr450. Seems to be a little stronger in the low/mid rpms and a slight bit weaker in the high rpms (flat on top)

The sound with the spark arrestor installed was just barely louder than the stock exhaust with the pea shooter removed. Nice sound though without being too loud. I tried it without the screen and it is pretty darn loud, almost obnixous.

The fit and finish of the pipe is very good. This is my first aftermarket dirtbike exhaust. My prior experiences with aftermarket exhausts have all been for street bikes, Harleys and several sport bikes. I can definitely say the quality of the Lexx is spot on with $800 exhausts I have purchased.

• mikewrf18

Posted December 06, 2011 - 06:21 AM

@yngsniper... How do you like the Lexx system? Does it have good sound/performance??
It looks nice and the price is good! I am looking for a good exhaust for my '09 WR450. Of course its probably not a Yoshi but who has 400-500 bucks to spend on a pipe these days... However I'm sure the market is so close and competitive that they are all very close in performance.

I considered 2 options when going with another exhaust set up. Lexx, and stock yzf pipe. Both options are good when trying to go on the cheap. Lexx had alot of good reviews and guys here on TT seemed to have good luck with them. Can't go wrong for $199! I decided to go the YZF exhaust route on my 07 WR. Picked one up used from a guy on this site for $100 with pro moto billet spark arrestor/end cap. Both great ways to go when on a tight budget!
Just thought I'd throw it out there.
To the OP, like others have said, time to rejet. Lot's of guys here recommend the JD Jetting kit. Sounds like you're new to jetting so it might be the best way to go. The kit has great instructions and will make it much easier to get it right. I however, just got on the jetting database sticky and found a TT member who jetted with my similar temps, mods, and elevation, and went from there. A cheaper way to go.
Posted Image

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.