Yoshimura RS-4 Slip-on for '11 YZ450

7 replies to this topic
  • swaldrop

Posted February 02, 2011 - 05:37 PM

Just got it installed and it looks great. We'll see how it runs tomorrow.

Question... Can I just remove the spark arrestor or do I need to replace it with the insert that Yoshimura calls for? I wasn't aware of the insert requirement when I ordered the pipe the other day and I want to ride it tomorrow.

Has anyone just removed it and ran the bike like that? I certainly don't see why this would be a problem myself and have all but decided that it won't be. Just looking for a little confirmation before I do.

I also just got the Power Tuner. I have no idea how to use it yet and will be playing with it once I get the kiddos to bed. Any thoughts on what would be a good map for this pipe? I got the pipe and tuner to hopefully tame down the bottom while uncorking the top.

Any thoughts? Advice? Personal experiences?

Thanks in advance.

• RJacks

Posted February 03, 2011 - 05:26 AM

The best thing you can do is go to yamaha's site and watch the vid on the tuner, and read through the manual for the tuner. After that, print out some of the maps on Yamaha's site, copy a few that are stickied here and play with them all when you ride. I like a few different maps for different reasons and different tracks. My opinion is there is no "one map is best" for the tuner and the YZF. Everyone's riding style is different as is their skill level, so testing to see what you like is what's best. I have a nice little notebook I keep track of the changes I make to the ECU and for suspension.

• RJacks

Posted February 03, 2011 - 05:28 AM

Oh yeah, let me know how that slip on is. I've been debating the RS-4 slip on or the full system. And I'm sure you'd be fine with the spark arrestor removed, but I'd have the insert on order just in case. My old '07 YZF performed differently with the different inserts and without for the FMF 4.1 exhaust.

• Jeepentj

Posted February 03, 2011 - 06:49 AM

I removed the spark arrester and didn't put anything back in except the outer ring (which has to be removed to pull the SA out).

On another note, three of my buddies have the same exhaust and three of us had a one heck of a time getting the cap out (which needs to come off before you can pull the spark arrester out). The 4th person's came out easily... hopefully you're luckier than I was.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • swaldrop

Posted February 03, 2011 - 08:31 AM

I didn't have any issues getting it out, but I can definitely see how that could be an issue for some. Very close tolerance on these parts.

I ended up removing both, the screen and the insert. I have the ring in my tool box and will throw it in there to see what kind of difference I get in both sound and performance. I am expecting it to run better without anything in it, but it will probably be pretty loud as well. We'll see.

As far as the tuner goes, I loaded up the Jay Marmont map, the Less Hit map and another one I found in the sticky on this forum. I will play with these tonight and see what I think and will report back on how that pipe performed.

• swaldrop

Posted February 03, 2011 - 07:45 PM

Well, just got back from the track. Ran the pipe with out the insert, with the insert and tried all of the maps that I had loaded up: Jay Marmont, Less Hit and another one from the sticky that seemed to be liked by more than one person.

Stock map with the insert installed was the winner by a long shot. With the insert out it pulled hard, but sounded terrible, almost like there was no packing in the pipe and it only seemed to get worse with these other maps.

When I finally went back to stock and installed the insert, I was blown away by how much better it was. It's not obnoxiously loud and the power is very smooth and pulled harder everywhere.

One thing I noticed with the other maps was the abrupt spikes in the power curve. Everything was mellower on bottom, but not in a good way. For example, the Jay Marmont map felt doggy off idle, then there was a really sharp spike as it went in to the mid followed by a strong top. The less hit was better, but still felt off. The other map was awful and the motor sounded like it was going to blow up when I ran it hard.

I am curious how these maps would work with the stock pipe, but as it is now, I am ready to sell this power tuner. I really love the power now with just the RS-4.

• RJacks

Posted February 04, 2011 - 04:51 PM

Well, just got back from the track. Ran the pipe with out the insert, with the insert and tried all of the maps that I had loaded up: Jay Marmont, Less Hit and another one from the sticky that seemed to be liked by more than one person.

Stock map with the insert installed was the winner by a long shot. With the insert out it pulled hard, but sounded terrible, almost like there was no packing in the pipe and it only seemed to get worse with these other maps.

When I finally went back to stock and installed the insert, I was blown away by how much better it was. It's not obnoxiously loud and the power is very smooth and pulled harder everywhere.

One thing I noticed with the other maps was the abrupt spikes in the power curve. Everything was mellower on bottom, but not in a good way. For example, the Jay Marmont map felt doggy off idle, then there was a really sharp spike as it went in to the mid followed by a strong top. The less hit was better, but still felt off. The other map was awful and the motor sounded like it was going to blow up when I ran it hard.

I am curious how these maps would work with the stock pipe, but as it is now, I am ready to sell this power tuner. I really love the power now with just the RS-4.

Very good info, I was waiting to hear. I wouldn't sell the tuner just yet, there are a lot of maps to try and some you will like and some you won't. I have felt some similar issues with a few maps and the stock exhaust, sluggish of bottom then all of the sudden it hits hard and pulls forever. I still like the stock power off bottom, and I'd like to design a map that allows more pull up top. I've got a few in mind. It's all a matter of playing with it.

• swaldrop

Posted February 04, 2011 - 05:43 PM

Very good info, I was waiting to hear. I wouldn't sell the tuner just yet, there are a lot of maps to try and some you will like and some you won't. I have felt some similar issues with a few maps and the stock exhaust, sluggish of bottom then all of the sudden it hits hard and pulls forever. I still like the stock power off bottom, and I'd like to design a map that allows more pull up top. I've got a few in mind. It's all a matter of playing with it.

I completely agree. I thought that the bottom end was too much until I tried something that tamed it down. Funny how that works. I definitely did not like the sensation of the hard spike in the middle. That seemed way too unpredictable to me.

For me though, the aftermarket exhaust opened up the top end enough to make me more than happy. I was all smiles when I came off the track after I went back to stock. I have never really felt the need for an aftermarket pipe on a 450, but I am pretty happy I got it now. The addition of the matching head pipe would probably be even better, but not sure it would be worth the cost.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.