02, CRF450R Flywheel weight ???

8 replies to this topic
  • Ho450

Posted February 02, 2011 - 02:11 PM

Gave my 15 year old son my old 02,Crf450r, had it re-sprung and re-valve for his weight for Dez riding. he rides it well except for hilly, technical rocky single track stuff.

I know a heavier flywheel weight is needed, but I don't know what weight and brand to get.

Thanks in advance for any advice !!
Nick

• Braap91

Posted February 02, 2011 - 02:57 PM

Trail Tech and Steahly are a couple of the well known manufacturers. If doing both WFO desert and single track you proably dont want to go too big, unless you want to tame the beast and mellow it out for your son. I would guess around a 5 or 7oz.

• 450XJimDirt

Posted February 03, 2011 - 12:16 PM

I just put a 13 oz in mine for trail riding ,i got it from SFB Racing , they make them in 13 ,11 ,9 , 7 oz , the weight of the stock flywheel is 22 oz with a 7 oz it would be 29 oz , mine is now 35 oz with the 13 oz weight , which is highly recommended for real tight stuff , just make sure when ordering any add-on weight that you tell them its for a 02 , it bolts up different from all other years , and only a weight for a 02 will bolt on , or you can go the other route and get a complete flywheel , in which ALL CRF450R flywheels will fit (and i believe 250R flywheels will also fit it) , but if you go with a 35 oz flywheel or a 13 oz weight you will have to grind a little casting on the inside of the ignition cover (just takes a minute) , and bend the tab on the timing chain retainer tab (it keeps your timing chain from dropping in your case when cam is removed , and will rub on the back side of the weight until its bent) , but your instructions should tell you about this issue

As far as price goes , i called SFB and got mine for cost ($65 shipped) retail is $120

• tjg53

Posted February 03, 2011 - 02:01 PM

I`v have 13 oz. on my 02 , and like i for woods. Bike still has all the power , and more power than i need. For a 15 years old you should put a cement block on it so he can`t run circles around you !!!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Shawn_Mc

Posted February 04, 2011 - 12:33 PM

The 02-03 flywheel is heavier than the 04 and up flywheels. I forget by how much. But a heavier flywheel wont affect overall power out put, just how that output feels and the way the rear tire hooks to the ground.

If he's running desert a heavy flywheel will make the bike much more rideable. Becareful about which flywheel you end up getting. Some have better magnets in them and can actually over drive the ignition and cause it to cut out. Trailtech had a bunch that miss boxed I think. If you do a search on flywheels in this forum you'll have a bunch of reading to do.

• ih88

Posted February 05, 2011 - 09:25 AM

i have 2 stealhy weights out of our 07 and 08 that we traded off. they were both supposed to be +9 oz. but i weighed them out of curiosity and one of them was +11 oz. the company couldnt explain why the difference.

• Shawn_Mc

Posted February 06, 2011 - 12:19 AM

i have 2 stealhy weights out of our 07 and 08 that we traded off. they were both supposed to be +9 oz. but i weighed them out of curiosity and one of them was +11 oz. the company couldnt explain why the difference.

one could have been an 02-03 +9 and the other could be an 04 through 08 +9

• oakhillbiker

Posted February 06, 2011 - 07:22 AM

or you can put a steel clutch basket in and do the same thing

• BlakeLpd5

Posted February 06, 2011 - 07:28 PM

or you can put a steel clutch basket in and do the same thing

Or both. I have the +17oz steahly, and a steel clutch basket. This thing is a hill climbin, single track MONSTER, I just wish I could ride it to it's fullest potential.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2007 crf450 stuck in gear by Jackthomas1989

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF450R
  • Hot  30 replies
Wiki
$10 PGM-FI HRC Tuner Tool - last post by calco88

$10 PGM-FI HRC Tuner Tool

Wiki Articles
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Please help , this is my first post. Carb issues? by cjr19543

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Intake - Jetting / Fuel Injection
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 INFO? by Phil Hannah

• Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Reviews? by quadgirl2

• 20 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.